• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well said Jeff Randall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Er isnt marketing or "hype" part of how the free market works? and are not people like you or I intelligent enough to inform ourselves of what is on the market in order to make our own minds up about what we buy and who we buy it from? or would you prefer a command economy ?
    Sounds oh so good, but I have a counter example: 4 cylinder engines. Why do most cars have 4 cylinder engines? A 3 cylinder is much smoother, more powerful, efficient, lovely and compact, a 5 cylinder is smoother still. 4 cylinders are much the worst layout, you even need a whacking great flywheel so they can idle at a reasonably low speed.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
      Why do most cars have 4 cylinder engines?
      Spark plugs are sold in packs of four.

Comment

Sounds oh so good, but I have a counter example: 4 cylinder engines. Why do most cars have 4 cylinder engines? A 3 cylinder is much smoother, more powerful, efficient, lovely and compact, a 5 cylinder is smoother still. 4 cylinders are much the worst layout, you even need a whacking great flywheel so they can idle at a reasonably low speed.
        just goes to show how important sales and marketing are. Was DOS really the best operating system software on which to base an entire world's computing on?
        was VHS better than Betamax?
        And if a product is technically better than a rival why if it is not sold and supported well should it be more deserving of consumer attention than an average product with which people are more comfortable using?
        Let the market decide.

To be fair to Denny and yourself Threaded the issues that she raises with regards to elites being too powerful and creating resentment are certainly valid (with regards especially to monopolies.. governments, microsoft, NHS, Tesco to name but a few). But they are valid because they prevent the rest of us from competing and owning land and from enjoying the right to choose who we buty from.
        However her resentment is personal and driven by envy and her own insecurities rather than offering any practical reasoning.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          Spark plugs are sold in packs of four.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Making the camshaft and ignition timing etc for a 3/5 cylinder engine is difficult mechanically and only recemntly made easier these days by computers. The 4 cylinder engine fits the 4 stroke cycle easier.

HTH

PS Volvo and VW both produce nice 5 cylinder engines and the Ford Focu ST uses the Volvo one.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

However her resentment is personal and driven by envy and her own insecurities rather than offering any practical reasoning.
              Don't you dare talk about me like that. I am being serious.

I am PMing you and will ask you to withdraw this remark formally on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                You've come to the wrong place for that love!
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Denny

I am PMing you and will ask you to withdraw this remark formally on this board.
                  Yeah, and while your on the subject , can you apologise for every time an agent has ripped me off.
                  I hereby apologise for every little fib I ever told an agent (except Aristotle. b@rst@rds)

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The usual tulipe ...
                    Just how important is sales and marketing ? Therein lies your confusion. In an efficient highly competitive market goods are sold based on utility. Sales and marketing emphasise that utility and bring it to the consumers attention.

However in a capitalist dictatorship sales and marketing become the market. Goods have little utility on their own, but sales and marketing brainwash people into believing they provide utility. Traditional values like hard work, creativity, honesty and integrity are abandoned; it is all smoke and mirrors and exploitation and manipulation. This is world in which we live in.

DA is just one cockroach that feeds on this distortion. Deep down he knows it is a lie and so he feels compelled to defend it. But he is swimming in a sea of his own excrement, and singing "Come on, jump in and enjoy the warmth".

Comment

Originally posted by TheOmegaMan
                      Just how important is sales and marketing ? Therein lies your confusion. In an efficient highly competitive market goods are sold based on utility. Sales and marketing emphasise that utility and bring it to the consumers attention.

However in a capitalist dictatorship sales and marketing become the market. Goods have little utility on their own, but sales and marketing brainwash people into believing they provide utility. Traditional values like hard work, creativity, honesty and integrity are abandoned; it is all smoke and mirrors and exploitation and manipulation. This is world in which we live in.

DA is just one cockroach that feeds on this distortion. Deep down he knows it is a lie and so he feels compelled to defend it. But he is swimming in a sea of his own excrement, and singing "Come on, jump in and enjoy the warmth".

If I understand his position correctly he is simply saying, 'lets be practical'.

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X