• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ides of March

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon
    The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire - Edward Gibbon. Get the abridged version if you're new to this stuff as it's a big book and the full version can get ponderous.

HTH
    Thanks for that - will have a look. What obvious parallels were there with today's societies that shocked you?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
      Defiled

They were a queer folk those Romans!
      Did they have any good gay childrens books?

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
        Thanks for that - will have a look. What obvious parallels were there with today's societies that shocked you?

The rise of a miltant religion, self serving politicans, the threat from the east.

Gingerjedi - Yeah Rome is my favourite city too, I've been six times and still hanker to go back. Florence is a bit like Venice, easy to get ripped off and IMHO a bit overated. I've been twice to give it a fair go.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964
          Did they have any good gay childrens books?

There's another thread for this kind of childish stuff

Gibbon in "pompous" mode
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon
            There's another thread for this kind of childish stuff

Gibbon in "pompous" mode
            Up Pompeii.... Oooooh Missus!

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
              an easier book to read that highlights the similarities between rome and washington is tom holland's rubicon: the triumph and tragedy of the roman republic

Comment

Originally posted by DS23
                an easier book to read that highlights the similarities between rome and washington is tom holland's rubicon: the triumph and tragedy of the roman republic

Yep good book read it and thought it was a good introduction if a little light in some areas.

A better book by Tom Holland is Persian Fire and how the greeks stopped the worlds first superpower.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                  This has got me thinking about Rome, a fantastic place to visit and probably my favourite city, the whole place is like a giant living museum, add great food, immaculately dressed people and you can walk everywhere providing you watch out for the mopeds! A real cultural experience that everyone should try.

When I was there last I was reading about the slow progress of their metro system, every time they dig they find another historical site to excavate which puts them back a few years.

Venice is fascinating but tarnished by the crowds and extortionate pricing, I was thinking of Florence and Bologna next.
                  Robbed twice in one day in Rome. The second time was just outside the police Station just after reporting the first one
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                    Robbed twice in one day in Rome. The second time was just outside the police Station just after reporting the first one
                    Thats unlucky but it could happen in any city, it wasn't by the 'termini' by any chance? Best to stear clear of that area.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I had the privilige of living and wokring in the Eternal City for a year.

I lived close to the place where the mighty Ceasar was assisinated, in the Largo Argentina - which is not far from the forum, however as the forum was undergoing some reconstruction at that time they used the buildings at the Largo instead.

As for somebody who had their wallet nicked - in a state of exhaustion after working night shifts I managed to lose my wallet containing my passport credit cards, 100 pounds and 300 Euros in cash.

Guess what - I got it all back - an unknown girl had handed it to a raliway station who contacted a very distraught Pruffock the next day, when I asked for the idenity of the person I was told it was a girl but she refused to leave her name - they said it must have been an Angel.

And who was I to disagree ?

Comment

Working...
                      X