• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ides of March

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ides of March"

Collapse

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Well if you know Rome in fact I lived beside the square of Santa Maria in Trastevere - which hosts the Chruch of Santa Maria - the first recongnised Christian Church as I recall legitimised during the Emperor Contanstines rule- the night when I realised I had lost everything I had (well my wallet , passport , cards , cash) I do remember lying in a cold sweat in my bed and pleading that if there was a presence in the Church - please help - help !

Alf's Guaridan Angel
    Always knew
    What to do next

Nearly right Alf, Santa Maria was the first church dedicated to the virgin Mary. The first recognised church by Constantine was San Goivanni in Laterano as a gift after his conversion at the battle of the Malvian bridge. By the way this church has the bronze doors from the Curia (senate house) in the forum.

Gibbon in " I know too much mode"

It must have been great living in Trastevere. Good resturants and bars and not too many tourists.

On my last visit in Jan I went to visit St Pauls outside the walls to see the tomb of Saint Paul. When I got there, there was a queue of nuns outside. I joined the queue and one of the Nuns gave me ticket. It was for a vespers service by Bendetto XVI, yep the Pope. I managed to get a seat that was only 6ft away from the aisle. The service was all in Latin and the monks singing/chanting were very impressive.

Didn't convert me, but made me think.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon
    I am so jealous, the area around Largo Agentina is one of my favourites.
    Well if you know Rome in fact I lived beside the square of Santa Maria in Trastevere - which hosts the Chruch of Santa Maria - the first recongnised Christian Church as I recall legitimised during the Emperor Contanstines rule- the night when I realised I had lost everything I had (well my wallet , passport , cards , cash) I do remember lying in a cold sweat in my bed and pleading that if there was a presence in the Church - please help - help !

Alf's Guaridan Angel
    Always knew
    What to do next

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    The rise of a miltant religion, self serving politicans, the threat from the east.

Not to mention obsession with holiday property, swimming-pools, status, and the equivalent of Saturday footie, the blood sports at the Colosseum.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    I had the privilige of living and wokring in the Eternal City for a year.

I lived close to the place where the mighty Ceasar was assisinated, in the Largo Argentina - which is not far from the forum, however as the forum was undergoing some reconstruction at that time they used the buildings at the Largo instead.

As for somebody who had their wallet nicked - in a state of exhaustion after working night shifts I managed to lose my wallet containing my passport credit cards, 100 pounds and 300 Euros in cash.

Guess what - I got it all back - an unknown girl had handed it to a raliway station who contacted a very distraught Pruffock the next day, when I asked for the idenity of the person I was told it was a girl but she refused to leave her name - they said it must have been an Angel.

And who was I to disagree ?

I am so jealous, the area around Largo Agentina is one of my favourites.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    As my Latin master used to say, "In March, July, October, May, the nones fall on the seventh day."

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    I had the privilige of living and wokring in the Eternal City for a year.

I lived close to the place where the mighty Ceasar was assisinated, in the Largo Argentina - which is not far from the forum, however as the forum was undergoing some reconstruction at that time they used the buildings at the Largo instead.

As for somebody who had their wallet nicked - in a state of exhaustion after working night shifts I managed to lose my wallet containing my passport credit cards, 100 pounds and 300 Euros in cash.

Guess what - I got it all back - an unknown girl had handed it to a raliway station who contacted a very distraught Pruffock the next day, when I asked for the idenity of the person I was told it was a girl but she refused to leave her name - they said it must have been an Angel.

And who was I to disagree ?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy
    Robbed twice in one day in Rome. The second time was just outside the police Station just after reporting the first one
    Thats unlucky but it could happen in any city, it wasn't by the 'termini' by any chance? Best to stear clear of that area.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    This has got me thinking about Rome, a fantastic place to visit and probably my favourite city, the whole place is like a giant living museum, add great food, immaculately dressed people and you can walk everywhere providing you watch out for the mopeds! A real cultural experience that everyone should try.

When I was there last I was reading about the slow progress of their metro system, every time they dig they find another historical site to excavate which puts them back a few years.

Venice is fascinating but tarnished by the crowds and extortionate pricing, I was thinking of Florence and Bologna next.
    Robbed twice in one day in Rome. The second time was just outside the police Station just after reporting the first one

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23
    an easier book to read that highlights the similarities between rome and washington is tom holland's rubicon: the triumph and tragedy of the roman republic

Yep good book read it and thought it was a good introduction if a little light in some areas.

A better book by Tom Holland is Persian Fire and how the greeks stopped the worlds first superpower.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack
    Thanks for that - will have a look. What obvious parallels were there with today's societies that shocked you?
    an easier book to read that highlights the similarities between rome and washington is tom holland's rubicon: the triumph and tragedy of the roman republic

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    There's another thread for this kind of childish stuff

Gibbon in "pompous" mode
    Up Pompeii.... Oooooh Missus!

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964
    Did they have any good gay childrens books?

There's another thread for this kind of childish stuff

Gibbon in "pompous" mode

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack
    Thanks for that - will have a look. What obvious parallels were there with today's societies that shocked you?

The rise of a miltant religion, self serving politicans, the threat from the east.

Gingerjedi - Yeah Rome is my favourite city too, I've been six times and still hanker to go back. Florence is a bit like Venice, easy to get ripped off and IMHO a bit overated. I've been twice to give it a fair go.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Defiled

They were a queer folk those Romans!
    Did they have any good gay childrens books?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire - Edward Gibbon. Get the abridged version if you're new to this stuff as it's a big book and the full version can get ponderous.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X