• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Analyst - New to Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Analyst - New to Contracting

Hi there,

I was looking for some advice on contracting and whether it is right for me. I'm a Business Analyst with 3 years experience and have been looking around at various roles on offer to see if i am suitable. A lot of the requests that are on there suit my abilities but most say 'experienced business analyst' needed.

Anyone know what 'experienced' means? Are they generally looking for someone with say over 5 year experience, or would 3 suffice? Any advice is welcome.

Cheers.

What type of "business" do you "analyse"?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Don03
      Hi there,

I was looking for some advice on contracting and whether it is right for me. I'm a Business Analyst with 3 years experience and have been looking around at various roles on offer to see if i am suitable. A lot of the requests that are on there suit my abilities but most say 'experienced business analyst' needed.

Anyone know what 'experienced' means? Are they generally looking for someone with say over 5 year experience, or would 3 suffice? Any advice is welcome.

Cheers.
      You could try asking them. Contact them and ask, it won't hurt.

Are you sure you should be considering contracting? You are often required to think fo ryourself you know.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

speaking as some one who does some BI work.. stay out of the market, its only big enough for me

if you're still not scared - 3 years could be very experienced for one job and totally inexperienced for another, you never know till you apply.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
          speaking as some one who does some BI work
          I wouldn't admit to that on here if I were you

Comment

Hi there,

Cheers.

good job you can interpret the market and use your analytical skills to judge for yourself!!!
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo
              I wouldn't admit to that on here if I were you
              good call
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

If

Hi there,

If you are able to show that your null input to the project outcome is essential to the business,
                If you are able to take the credit of anybody who actually does some work when things are right but at the same time you are quick to identify somebody to blame when things go wrong,
                Yours is the business world and everything that's in it,
                And--which is more--you'll be a business analyst, my son!
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

It does depend on what your 3 years of experience is like.

It could easily be 3 years on 1 project - in which case I doubt anyone would give your cv a second look.

However if you've worked on multiple projects with multiple workstreams, seen good projects through to conclusion, are quick to adapt to change etc etc then you could be first on the list on interviewees.

Good BAs are hard to find at the moment (I know, I'm one! ). My phone is ringing off the hook and my rates are up about 30% this year!!
                  Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

I, on the other hand, am not a BA, not very good and my phone is as silent as Roy Castles trumpet.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X