• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dead cat bounce

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see the coffee machine nearest the manager's desk is still updated!

Spendid!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
      Hmm - nice use of italic and bold there
      Yeah, yeah I know!

Churchill - In "Don't you just hate it when that happens?" mode.

Comment

Because of the ability to short stock these bounces become more prolific. The trick is to guess when the bounce will first occur. Most shorters close out after a week.

You can look at the shares traded and if excessive for a company where there has been no bad news then this is normally a good indicator. Lloyds TSB being a good one. Its div yield is now at 6.4% and has fallen way short of its recent high, so a 10% bounce back IMHO + 6.4% yield over the year. At least a 15% in 12 months.

Hopefully some more falls in the short term though.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

hindsight

threaded,

when you said 'the dead can bounce is over, it's on its way down again', you actually called the bottom point. Almost to the hour.

Reverse psychology or egg-on-face?

Comment

A dead cat bounce is a term used in market economics to
            I got as far as this before I turned off and wondered how My L70 Character in World of Warcraft was doing on the Auction House.

Strangely, that seems to be the way I think.

IT Meeting : Director : "Thanks everyone for coming. Now our performance targets....<CUT>
            BGG thinks to himself "Did I turn the dishwasher on this morning ?"

Orange Sales Call :"Hello Mr BGG, I was wondering if <CUT>
            BGG thinks to himself "I wonder if my character in World of Warcraft sold his Green Shoulder loot?"

M&S Sales Assistant :"Thank you. Please enter you pin <CUT> number"
            BGG thinks to himself "Pins ! I must check my curtains to ensure I removed the pins"

Parasol IT :"Hi, we have noticed <CUT> that blah blah blah"
            BGG thinks to himself "What did that notice say that I passed earlier today...something about life coaching i think"

It seems that as hard as I try to concentrate on the subject at hand, I seem to go off on a tangent when something provokes me and focus on that instead.

The weirdest thing has been when I have worked in an open plan office, turned up for work, done my job, and remembered nothing of the day when i get home. Colleagues have said "don't you remember when Colin the Saddo was fired opposite you" and all I can say is "I know Colin. But I was not aware he was fired today"......it's like time passes and I cannot account for it. I slept through the 1987 hurricane FFS".

The trouble is, the job i do is not that well paid.

I have to be touchy-feeley smiley with lots of people and schmooze and deal with them. But to be honest any muppet can do that and it's all bollox anyway. That's for peope with no quals.

I'm looking for something a bit more deeper and challenging. Something that keeps me focussed all day, without time for idle banter or timewasting. I can do my current job with my eyes closed and still have time to let my mind wander during the day.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Welcome to the real world. Boring as hell most of the time.

Don't worry it's only a matter of time before someone comes up with Matrix Beta where you can plug into your alternative reality of choice and forget about all this real world bollox.

If what Bill Hicks said about all this being about god experiencing himself in multiple ways and dimensions, I wish I could have dreamt up something more interesting. tulip.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH
                Welcome to the real world. Boring as hell most of the time.

Don't worry it's only a matter of time before someone comes up with Matrix Beta where you can plug into your alternative reality of choice and forget about all this real world bollox.

If what Bill Hicks said about all this being about god experiencing himself in multiple ways and dimensions, I wish I could have dreamt up something more interesting. tulip.
                I dont know about Bill Hicks - but what you describe reminds me of the Hindu version of God (Brhama - or however you spell it )

The idea being that we are all part of the dream thoughts of Bramha who activates the Material Universe through the dance of Layla - so our exsitence is not ours - its is all part of the cosmic dream/dabce - so even a mundane 'Day in the Life' is part of the Godhead comsic dream

Woke up - Fell out of Bed
                Dragged a comb accross my head

And when the Dream is over- then the cycle of Dreams ends with the age of Kali (destruction) and the Material Univsers ends.

'Atishoo Atishoo - we all fall down'

But dont worry !

You see Brahma then gets a bit bored with nothingness and decides to start the show all over again - just for the fun it - and before yhou know it Layla is dancing and the whole crazy universe is back in motion.

Just because - well God likes to Dance.

Because - it is a fun thing to do.

Oh - and a Cosmic Joke or two - so he creates these comical fragile things called humans.

And you thought he was some serious geezer with a Beard - so you didnt dance and went to your job everdyay and felt really miserable -worryng about this that and the other ...

Then one day you will be taken to a hospital - and your relaitves will say you wil be out soon - and what fun you will have when you do - but you wont - and then one day you will simply no longer be here - and the last sound you hear - will be Gods cosmic laughter that you didnt get the joke !

Because YOU - didnt exist - you were part of the Dream.

So laugh and Dance - all else is Folly.

Be seeing you ...

So long ago
                Was it in a dream, was it just a dream?
                I know, yes I know
                Seemed so very real, it seemed so real to me

Took a walk down the street
                Thru the heat whispered trees
                I thought I could hear (hear, hear, hear)
                Somebody call out my name as it started to rain

Two spirits dancing so strange

Ah! böwakawa poussè, poussè

Dream, dream away
                Magic in the air, was magic in the air?
                I believe, yes I believe
                More I cannot say, what more can I say?

On a river of sound
                Thru the mirror go round, round
                I thought I could feel (feel, feel, feel)
                Music touching my soul, something warm, sudden cold
                The spirit dance was unfolding

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 6 April 2007, 09:11.

Comment

I danced in the morning when the world was begun
                  I danced in the Moon & the Stars & the Sun
                  I came down from Heaven & I danced on Earth
                  At Bethlehem I had my birth:
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                  X