• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just tell them you are against the new gay school books. Should get you off for being a homophobe
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Hubbie was called a few months ago. Although the documentation says "you will be compensated for loss of proven earnings" what that actually means, as you so rightly say, is 56pd plus exes.

He rang them up and explained that he was in the middle of a major project and could not take the time off, they said that his employer was legally bound to release him, he pointed out that he is employed in NL so no legal obligation. They asked him to write a nice letter explaining about the major project and then they did a deal where he does two days in Coroners Court on an inquest instead.

Cheers

Windy

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        I just plead insanity.
        Wow, you're good!

Comment

I thought there was insurance to cover you against jury service? or was that some hot air touted by an ex-umbrella company?

Comment

walk upto defendent and just say
            ' hello mate how you doing '
            should get you excused

Comment

Originally posted by Burdock
              I thought there was insurance to cover you against jury service? or was that some hot air touted by an ex-umbrella company?
              PCGPlus membership gives it

Comment

I did two weeks and sent in a claim for my actual loss of earnings - waste of time - they only paid fifty odd quid a day plus some expenses.

As for the actual jury service, I went in for about 4 days of the 10 days period and sat in the canteen for three hours each day until they sent us all home. The other 6 days they didn't even want us to turn up. Waste of my time, waste of public money.
                It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                  Anyone on here been approached? I don’t think I could afford to do it, are the rules different for self employed people? You can hardly drop what you're doing and say I'm off for anything between 2 and 6 weeks... on £56 pd
                  Afraid it is difficult to avoid (unless you are not on the electoral roll but that can cause you other problems, or you move around the country frequently).

The insurance that comes with PGCPlus will pay out up to £300 a day for two weeks I think.

If you are called up it is possible to put your case to the Judge to get out of it but I don't expect them to be too sympathetic.

I did mine last year. There was a "real" self employed person serving at the same time. He was in the middle of fitting out a restaurant so had a deadline and had to carry on doing his day job first thing in the morning and in the evening.

You just need to pray that you don't get allocated to a case that is going to last for months.

Comment

Its all very simple really. If you get the letter through the post, bin it, do not reply, end of. Ive had 2 in the last 5 years, no probs. I refuse to waste my time only for some junkie shoplifter to plead guilty at the 11th hour.

Comment

Originally posted by One Nihilist
                      Its all very simple really. If you get the letter through the post, bin it, do not reply, end of. Ive had 2 in the last 5 years, no probs. I refuse to waste my time only for some junkie shoplifter to plead guilty at the 11th hour.
                      Isn't that a criminal offence or something ?

Comment

Working...
                      X