• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Biting the hands that feed them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife is a nurse, but she's not in the NHS at the moment so it doesn't affect her. If she was in the NHS, as she used to be, I'd be really p****d off, as I'm sure she would, even though she's a Labour supporter.

However, I think the general trend of importing cheap labour to work here is a major issue. We see it in the IT world, it happens in the NHS, in the construction industry, etc. We're told there's a skills shortage in all those fields, and yet I see my employment opportunities being eroded by it, as does my wife, as I'm sure many others do in their own fields.

What's going on? Are we, the indigenous population, being forced out of work? What's going to happen to us all if we can't find work? Is "our" country going to be taken over by "foreigners" who are happy to work for a fraction of the wages that we want?

I find it quite worrying really. I suppose I'd better have another glass of Rioja to calm myself down.

Comment

Originally posted by gordonbrown
      Let me be clear.

The nurses will indeed receive nearly five percent more, which is nearly three percentage points about inflation. They should be very pleased with that.

And yet I have restrained their pay increase to within the budget of 1.9 percent, as a prudent Chancellor would, reassuring the taxpayer.
      KNOB OFF!

Comment

Originally posted by gordonbrown
        Let me be clear.

The nurses will indeed receive nearly five percent more, which is nearly three percentage points about inflation. They should be very pleased with that.

And yet I have restrained their pay increase to within the budget of 1.9 percent, as a prudent Chancellor would, reassuring the taxpayer.
        [paul daniels mode]
        And that's magic!
        [/paul daniels mode]

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956
          My wife is a nurse, but she's not in the NHS at the moment so it doesn't affect her. If she was in the NHS, as she used to be, I'd be really p****d off, as I'm sure she would, even though she's a Labour supporter.

However, I think the general trend of importing cheap labour to work here is a major issue. We see it in the IT world, it happens in the NHS, in the construction industry, etc. We're told there's a skills shortage in all those fields, and yet I see my employment opportunities being eroded by it, as does my wife, as I'm sure many others do in their own fields.

What's going on? Are we, the indigenous population, being forced out of work? What's going to happen to us all if we can't find work? Is "our" country going to be taken over by "foreigners" who are happy to work for a fraction of the wages that we want?

I find it quite worrying really. I suppose I'd better have another glass of Rioja to calm myself down.
          The problem is the people at the top (Employers, Directors etc) don't care who does the job, if they can get cheaper workers then all the better. The idea is to get into that position.

Comment

I have to say that I am happy that the nurses got 1.9%.

It may be alien for a lot of people on here to wonder how many people survive on £19,000 a year - lets face it a lot of you are on £50-60k easy.

I spend most of my day working with people who are on £10k, just over NMW. That is what warehouses pay for lower skilled people. They would bite your arm off for £19k a year and these guys are not guaranteed a pay rise.

I feel bad when I tell them that I get paid more than they do all week in one day.

At least the nurses have a guaranteed payrise and fairly decent working conditions, access to the key workers scheme etc etc.

Comment

I'm sure the savings will pay for a few more 100K a year part time pen pushers.
              Last edited by pisces; 3 March 2007, 22:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                I have to say that I am happy that the nurses got 1.9%.

It may be alien for a lot of people on here to wonder how many people survive on £19,000 a year - lets face it a lot of you are on £50-60k easy.

I spend most of my day working with people who are on £10k, just over NMW. That is what warehouses pay for lower skilled people. They would bite your arm off for £19k a year and these guys are not guaranteed a pay rise.

I feel bad when I tell them that I get paid more than they do all week in one day.

At least the nurses have a guaranteed payrise and fairly decent working conditions, access to the key workers scheme etc etc.
                You bet ya! I know a lot of people round here who would love nearly 20K too.

As the minister pointed out they will also get pay rise due to length of service which is where the 4.5% comes from.

It's policy in the NHS to prefer UK/EU staff over the rest of the world too. Who else has that protection?
                Drivel is my speciality

Comment

'I feel bad when I tell them that I get paid more than they do all week in one day. '
                  Not bad enough to keep quiet about it !!

Comment

UK nurses are the highest paid in the world, except the US. The one thing that is a constant is that Nurses are underpaid. However I think that's fine, but then are restaurant staff not underpaid ?, what about petrol pump attendants, road-sweepers ?

I mean why do Nurses need special attention.

Nurses are like Arctic rabbits, koala bears, and other such cuddly animals, where people go aaah... aren't they cute, and then get worked up at the injustice, whilst murdering insects with flyspray.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X