• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How good is to be in the UK any longer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the biggest problem in the UK is crime. This needs to be sorted out and it's a relatively easy job to do so. No more suspended sentences, no more slaps on the wrist, but longer sentences. You can't have some guy get a 3 month jail term for beating up a pensioner, he goes down for 2/3 years. A 3 month term is nothing really, but 3 years, that would make him think twice next time. Also the prisons need to be better, not better as in sky tv I mean better as in rehabilitating prisoners. Locking them up for 23 hours a day is not going to produce a rehabilitated prisoner.

Comment

Sally,

for you to ask such a question as this:

'"our way of life being undermined by politicians" - what real things do you actually mean by this?
      "Migrants having more say in this way the country is run than natives" - again, what real things are you talking about?
      '

I can only conclude you get your current affairs and political commentary from Woman's Own !

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
        Oh come on LG - thats a bit OTT isn't it?

Its just so theoretic! Its like you dont even live here, and are living your experience of life in this country through what you read in the papers.

Yeah there are a few things which could be improved on, but its not that bad!

"our way of life being undermined by politicians" - what real things do you actually mean by this?
        "Migrants having more say in this way the country is run than natives" - again, what real things are you talking about?
        I dont experience this in my every day life, so how do you?
        Personal experience.
        Migrants.
        A friend who is a school teacher lost her job because she refused to learn to speak a foreign language.
        At least 3 local councils in my area refused to allow nativity scenes to be set up in case it offended the Muslims, who in on case are by far the majority in the town.
        21 Chinese drowned not 3 miles from my house. Thsi has destroyed the local cockling industry.
        Chavs
        I see gangs of chavs on every street corner who are abusive and agressive. When I was their age the blokes I was being rude to would have smaked me one. I od not feel able to do this as I would get done for assault or beaten to death.
        I sat on a train last Friday and listened to 5 teenage girls come out with a stream of obscenity that I would heistate to use in a pub amongst friends. These girls shouted it across the train. When a chap told them to shut up he was told to **** off and if he touched them they would accuse him of sexual assault.
        Over Regulation
        IR35. Is that enough?
        Speed cameras taking more and more revenue yet driving standards are clearly dropping. It seems the only offences the police are interested in are those they can police by camera.

I could write a lot more here hun, but dont want to go off on one.

It does not matter what I have experienced, what matters is my perception.
        You telling me that all is sweetness and light in Sunderland?
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Migrants - Soaring house prices, worsening traffic jams, building on playing fields and all over the countryside

Comment

what about fiscal policy...

http://www.finanznachrichten.de/nach...el-2005588.asp

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
              I love the UK - I complete and utterly love it all.

Rainy mornings, the local pub, sausage and mash, the news of the world, watching the footy results come in on a Saturday afternoon, my new best friend Gala Bingo......whats not to love?!!! And thats just the pikey cheap stuff!

The humour is superb here, the people are great - and such a mix of them!

I never get bored here - totally love it

And I love all of you too
              Well said.

The grass is not greener, and those who tell you it is are trying to kid themselves.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                Well said.

The grass is not greener, and those who tell you it is are trying to kid themselves.
                Exactly. It riles me when people who are employed over here because there is nothing in their homeland start moaning about it...if you don't like it, then don't stay...I'm sure we'll cope just fine after you leave.
                Call the cops

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                  Well said.

Sorry Dodgy, but there you are wrong.
                  As I said, I am proud to be English, I hope you have noticed over the years.

However, I have worked on the mainland since 1998 except for last year which I spent near Hull.
                  In that time I have travelled on 6 trains that were late. I have never had to stand on a train.
                  I have never seen gangs of any age standing around on street corners.
                  I regularly see kids help old folks or women with prams on and off trains and busses.

It is not all roses, I see bad things in places too. Brussels was a tulipe hole. Smells of piss and half of it is a no go area after midnight. Dog tulip central.

I am speaking from experience rather thna hearsay and news items.

I do not want to leave England, I want it put right, but more and more I get the feeling that what I want is not going to happen.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

question is, for your money where do you get the best quality of life, UK or mainland ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      It doesn't matter.

The air is recirculated...
                      Yes but you get a better class of disease in first.
                      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X