• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perspective matters!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perspective matters!

Olympics are on, I've noticed something weird:

Bronze medalists seem way more happier than silver ones.

Like, what's up with that? Why? I wondered.

Later that day, I read an article about behavioral economics. It said that the pain of losing something is often felt more strongly than the joy of gaining it.

Turns out, it's all about how your brain works. When you lose something, it hurts way more than when you gain something.

Silver medalists are probably thinking, "If I'd just tried harder, I could've won gold!"

But bronze medalists are like, "Yo, I'm on the podium! I got a medal!" They're focusing on the win, not the what-ifs.

This whole perspective thing is huge. It's how you see the world. A good perspective helps you deal with tough times, make better choices, and actually enjoy your wins.

So, why not start your day with a little gratitude? Instead of thinking about what you don't have, focus on what you do.

It's a small change, but it can make a big difference.

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

So, why not start your day with a little gratitude? Instead of thinking about what you don't have, focus on what you do.

No thanks.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

No thanks.
      Thank you!
      Last edited by BigDataPro; 3 August 2024, 08:46.

Comment

Bronze medalists seem way more happier than silver ones.

Like, what's up with that? Why? I wondered.

Later that day, I read an article about behavioral economics. It said that the pain of losing something is often felt more strongly than the joy of gaining it.

Turns out, it's all about how your brain works. When you lose something, it hurts way more than when you gain something.

Silver medalists are probably thinking, "If I'd just tried harder, I could've won gold!"

But bronze medalists are like, "Yo, I'm on the podium! I got a medal!" They're focusing on the win, not the what-ifs.

This whole perspective thing is huge. It's how you see the world. A good perspective helps you deal with tough times, make better choices, and actually enjoy your wins.

I am disappointed with your post and I found it depressing.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I am disappointed with your post and I found it depressing.
          I'm sorry to hear that. It's probably your DNA. Keep practicing and you will improve

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that. It's probably your DNA. Keep practicing and you will improve
            Keep what? Are you a septic?
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Don't try the Total Perspective Vortex unless you are Zaphod Beeblebrox.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I remember being told the bronze medal theory when I was a kid.

Also if you get your medal upgraded after the ceremony or even years later due to drug cheating it screws with your psychological well-being. Though I only noticed that as an adult.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X