• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmrc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss
    I have yet to hear of someone being investigated who wasn't taking minimum wage.
    So paying yourself, say £6.50 p/h may take you off the radar?
    Call the cops

Comment

I have yet to hear of someone being investigated who wasn't taking minimum wage.

I think its a definate trigger like.

Plus, my expenses were so excessive! £1k a month for a flat, travel back and forth to Manchester weekly, travel back and forth to work daily, meals out etc - it added up to about £30k!

All legal, so I thought.

I'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer
        Who here has actually been investigated regarding IR35? and did you win?
        Been investigated (3 years), won. Was paying about min. wage x 2 as salary so as to make some pension contribs.
        Why the avatar? Well anyone accused of plotting against Gordon Brown can't be all bad.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
          I think its a definate trigger like.

Plus, my expenses were so excessive! £1k a month for a flat, travel back and forth to Manchester weekly, travel back and forth to work daily, meals out etc - it added up to about £30k!

All legal, so I thought.

I'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.
          30k in expenses - you amateur!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6380357.stm
          Why the avatar? Well anyone accused of plotting against Gordon Brown can't be all bad.

Comment

Although not being investigated as such and nor am I in IR35 or out of IR35, the Finanzamt have, for the first time queried something. First of all they want to know what I do for a living and whether it makes me Freiberuflich (no business tax, Gewerbesteuer) or Selbständig (pay business tax.) That one is pretty much sorted by just giving them the first page of my CV. Next up is they are currently processing my tax return for 2005 and have questioned some invoices for May 2005 which was in fact for Jan-May. They've asked for all receipts, which they in fact have, so they can check to see if I should be claiming VAT in advance (don't ask!) They've got in a muddle because a lot of the receipts are for countries outside of Germany so no VAT there plus each month I get a retainer from an American firm for which I don't invoice but do declare. The only worrying thing is, is that the German tax man has wide sweeping powers and has a habit of knocking on your door in the early hours of the morning and taking every bit of paperwork (and computers) you have with him, and he don't need a warrant!
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer
              Who here has actually been investigated regarding IR35? and did you win?
              Yes and Yes HTH
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                Yes and Yes HTH
                Troll, you are my f***in hero

well done. I wish you would tell us the story sometime

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

All HMRC have to do is to to the Companies House website, search for all Ltds that describe themselves as Computer something-or-other, and start the investigation. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
                    All HMRC have to do is to to the Companies House website, search for all Ltds that describe themselves as Computer something-or-other, and start the investigation. Simple as that.
                    and who would you start with? someone 'earning' 5-10k per anumn with 30k expenses or someone earning 15k with 10k expenses?
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

and who would you start with? someone 'earning' 5-10k per anumn with 30k expenses or someone earning 15k with 10k expenses?
                      Any company which has ticked the "IR35 does not apply" box on their return, irrespective of expenses.

Comment

Working...
                      X