• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

George!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George!

I missed this episode of the Repair Shop - seems worth watching.

(There is a video via the linky)

https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/14/repai...co=mosaic_home

The Repair Shop viewers got more than they bargained for on tonight’s episode with the entrance of an unlikely character called George.

But George was not a human – we hope – but came in the form of a ventriloquist doll, born in 1898.

As the title of the show suggests, the doll was in dire need of a makeover – but even the results didn’t wash with viewers, who dubbed the doll creepy as hell.

Although the happy owner – Alison Gunn Robson – acknowledged George wasn’t everyone’s ‘cup of tea’, she seemed absolutely besotted with the rickety fella’ and kissed him goodbye when she left.

In fact, George helped her through a ‘difficult time’ at school as a dyslexic 11 year old.

George gave Alison ‘confidence’ as she performed with him at school and made him say cheeky things about the teachers without getting into trouble.
    ‘George could say what he liked, it wasn’t me saying it, it was George,’ explained Alison.

‘I think he helped me through quite a bad time. I was very dyslexic and so you have quite a big inferiority complex I think, and you’re shy, and I think having George meant I would talk freely and with confidence.’

‘And also when you live alone you’re not talking to yourself,’ she added, before admitting: ‘I know he’s maybe not everybody’s cup of tea but he’s just such a dear old fellow.’

But viewers didn’t quite share Alison’s sweet sentiments, as some even said they were going to turn off their TVs at the sight of him, while others worried George had ‘cursed’ the show.

One took to Twitter and said: ‘Was gonna watch The Repair Shop but just seen there’s a ventriloquist’s dummy on tonight’s episode. I just can’t…’

Another wrote: ‘I was going to watch The Repair Shop. But it’s swiftly turned into the stuff of nightmares.’

It was a strong reaction indeed, as many dubbed George a murdering supernatural entity.

‘Ventriloquist dummy on The Repair Shop has clearly killed and will do so again,’ wrote one viewer, while another said: ‘I’m not saying that this ventriloquist doll on @BBCOne the repair shop is demonically possessed but I would suggest it is burnt, and the ashes are spread across the world. Just to be safe.’

‘Pretty sure The Repair Shop just let a curse into the barn!’ chimed in another.

George actually scared another viewer, as they said: ‘Oh my god. There’s a ventriloquists dummy on The Repair Shop. It’s horrifying, I’m going to check absolutely everywhere tonight to make sure it’s not hiding. Awful creature.’

But the finished result wasn’t much better, as one person thought George ended up looking like Mr Bean, while another likened him to Charlie Brooker, and a third to Andrew Lloyd Webber.

‘I’m surprised George didn’t kill them all in their sleep,’ began one Twitter user as the doll re-entered the screen, good as, er, new.

‘Did anyone else think the ventriloquist dummy ended up looking like Mr Bean on the Repair Shop?’ asked another.

While we often expect tears from The Repair Shop, this time we’re crying for a whole new reason.

Of course, Alison was made up with George at the end, and we couldn’t be happier for her.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Working...
X