• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'5 ways to save the world' BBC2 (last night)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what we need is a big volcanic eruption that will sort out global warming

Comment

Jawz, it is a tragic - and almost unbelievable fact- that many people still don't believe in the human contribution to global warming.

The people who see it purely as a vehicle to collect more tax are the most worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
        We were taught in the 50s and 60s that we were heading for an Ice Age. So be it, we are heading for an Ice Age. Maybe we are heading for short term global warming, CO2 is a small contribution. If we all went green today the earth will still get hotter in the short term (100-200 years)

The media is very select in what parts of the reports they publish, no I do not believe the media or politicians.
        The media and politicians are only going on advice given by experts which I hazard a guess you are not, yes warming/cooling is cyclic but there is strong evidence that mankind has accelerated the process.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Do you believe in the tooth fairy as well?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
            The media and politicians are only going on advice given by experts which I hazard a guess you are not, yes warming/cooling is cyclic but there is strong evidence that mankind has accelerated the process.
            I'm not an expert and, I suspect, neither are you.
            You line up your scientific experts and I'll line up mine.
            Then we can toss a coin.
            Then we can give El Gordo what is left of our money as a green tax.
            Boom boom boom boom
            A-haw haw haw haw
            Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
            Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Climate change is a fact, the causes are up for debate but to simply say it's not been proved isn't enough these days.

The balance of evidence and weight of scientific opinion believes otherwise, and even the Bush administration is starting to come round to thinking that maybe there is a link between the accelerated rate of change and human activities.

I honestly wish this issue could be divorced from the perception that's it belongs to tree hugging lettuce munchers and actually judged on what we know about it now and what the possible outcomes could be. If the balance of opinion is wrong then what have we lost compared to if we're right and do nothing. I know which one I personally find more frightning and the fear it's one we'll be judged on harshly in generations to come.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Burdock
                Jawz, it is a tragic - and almost unbelievable fact- that many people still don't believe in the human contribution to global warming.

The people who see it purely as a vehicle to collect more tax are the most worrying.
                That’s the bit people don't like, it pisses me off that El Gordo collects green taxes without pumping them back into green solutions but that’s the politicians fault it doesn’t disprove global warming.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                  The Earth is colder than it was 500 years ago and much colder that it was 2000 years. ago
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Start using CFCs again. They block the sun and cool down the planet....
                    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                      Start using CFCs again. They block the sun and cool down the planet....
                      I don’t know if you are serious but many people including some politicians don’t know the difference between CFCs and CO2. CFS allegedly destroy the Ozone layer that filter UV; nothing to do with global warming. Also the Hole in the Ozone layer is closing up, yet another natural fluctuation.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X