• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

nationwide want a reference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never had any problem getting a mainstream mortgage. Generally the lenders treat you as self-employed with the income of yourself and your company being synonymous for their purposes. The most common requirement from lenders was simply a letter from you accountant confirming the company income (= your income as far as they're concerned) is what you said it is.

If the standard forms they send you don't allow you to describe your income/situation completely, just phone them and explain and they will tell you what they need.

Comment

Whats a mortgage ?

suckers

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        What the feck is an independant employer?! An employer is an employer.

It might not work for you bag-o-pus, having the charm of a freshly laid dog turd, but anyone with an ounce of business skills can do it.

You don't go in and say "of course my employer XYZ ltd is just a tax vehicle for me to be a disguised employee of ABC ltd".

You say "My current job is senior programmer / BA / software architect / whatever permie title. Currently I am employed by XYZ ltd in Town Y and my income is £123456"

Here is the complex process.

You go in. you talk to the adviser. You fill in the forms. You put down XYZ ltd as your employer. They ask for a reference (usually a letter from the company to confirm you work there, often they don't even bother). Your accountant / co sec sends one on headed official company paper. It says "Dear Bank, This is to confirm Mr Thicky is an employee. Thanks."

Bingo! it is done. NO different to if you work for IBM, Microsoft or even MacDonalds.

Deary me. Getting a mortgage has got to be the easiest thing in the world these days. He who dares Rodney!

Are you hard of thinking? some of the old building societies do not recognise single man entity Ltds without 3 years of accounts. The only way around that is to get an 'employer' ref. They will not accept a ref from yourself or someone losely connected you feckwit. They want this to know regular income will be arriving into your account. How the feck can an accountant confirm that? Moreover the client won't want to provide refs. That leaves the agency.

Of course other lenders are not so strict and you can self cert.

But imagine this, you have a mortgage with a building society (50:50 equity), you go contracting and you split from your partner. You do not have 3 years of accounts and the building society will only accept a ref from your employer, not a letter from your mum/your accountant or your friend down the pub. There is a redemption penalty to redeem the mortgage. What would you do?

So if the orginal poster wants a mortgage with Nationwide and he has <3years accounts an agency ref may be the easiest way. For me it was either do that or pay the redemption fee (their rules, not mine).

Now get off your high horse and lose the (bad) attitude mate.
        Last edited by Bagpuss; 19 February 2007, 10:29.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

newby's don't seem to understand the nature of the general forum

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by churkus
            from my agency before theyll give me a mortgage. Is being a contractor a problem for nationwide? My brother is a contractor and got his mortgage fine through halifax no references asked for. Or is it just me?
            I was inclined to go through Nationwide since I bank there and they can see how much money goes in every month. My mortgage broker advised against since, as he put it, Nationwide is a lender that likes to see all the "i"s dotted and the "t"s crossed.

But any decent mortgage broker should be able to get you a good mortgage with no problem.

Comment

If you go down the "I'm an employee..", what happens when they want to see payslips, and it shows you're earning less than a burger flipper trainee (due to most of it being paid in dividends)? Or can you insist on just using a reference?

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
                If you go down the "I'm an employee..", what happens when they want to see payslips, and it shows you're earning less than a burger flipper trainee (due to most of it being paid in dividends)? Or can you insist on just using a reference?
                They are the ones who insist what you do.

They want to know you will have a regular income (hence the need for refs)
                The building societies are risk adverse, but 3 yrs of accounts is usually OK for most.

If your circmstances fall outside of the box, then they are likely to decline, so
                < 3yrs of accounts it's prob best to try a broker and self cert.

With the building societies <3yrs accounts and no ref from the 'employer' (where employer=client or agency) = they will knock you back.

PS. Avoid Britannia building society at all costs.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

just print some off with whatever you've put down as your salary

Comment

Working...
                  X