• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ryanair upsetting...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryanair upsetting...

South Africans.

BBC News - Ryanair Afrikaans test: South African fury over language quiz https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-61703174

South Africans have condemned Irish airline Ryanair for making them take a test in the Afrikaans language on UK flights, calling it discriminatory.

The country has 11 official languages, and many say they cannot understand Afrikaans - a language which was imposed during white-minority rule.

The quiz contains questions on South African general knowledge.

Ryanair defended the test, saying it weeds out those travelling on fraudulent South African passports.

"Due to the high prevalence of fraudulent South African passports, we require passengers travelling to the UK to fill out a simple questionnaire issued in Afrikaans," it said in a statement.

"If they are unable to complete this questionnaire, they will be refused travel and issued with a full refund," the airline continued.

A South African man who was flying from Lanzarote to London in May said he was "shocked" when Ryanair took away his passport and boarding pass before presenting him with the Afrikaans test.

When Dinesh Joseph protested, Ryanair staff told him: "This is your language," he said.

"I was seething, I felt really triggered... there was a sense of anxiety and anger inside of me," Mr Joseph told the BBC's Newshour programme.

"It's callous and insensitive to force people to write a test which would evoke so much emotion around it - the language of apartheid was Afrikaans," Mr Joseph continued, saying he felt "oppressed" and insisting that speaking Afrikaans has nothing to do with how South African someone is.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Working...
X