• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anybody ever listed NOTEPAD as a skill on their CV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't use any software tool unless it has drag n drop and brightly coloured shapes to play with. You guys , command line, how 20th Century.

Comment

There must be pretty much universal acknowledgement that an experienced developer should be able to open a page of code in Notepad and be able to understand it and make fixes. As mentioned above, it's like being able to write. In fact, it's only with ASP.NET that I've been properly moving into visual development over hand coded HTML.

I certainly mention it in interviews if the opportunity arises because, at least in traditional web development, it shows you know what's going on. And we all know what kind of HTML most WYSIWYG tools used to spew out (not sure if they're as bad as they used to be). I'm genuinely impressed with the code VWDE produces though. It was just a matter of waiting for it to be sorted out really.

So, yeah, not exactly a "skill" to put on the CV, but Notepad's still relevent to the job for the time being I'd say.

Comment

notepad++

notepad not on my cv but notepad++ is
        whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
          I don't put notepad on my CV but I do still have an entry for vi as you'll be surprised how many *nix "gurus" can't use it - nevermind the point and clicky Windows people.

Good old vi (NOT)

Whenever I needed to edit something I used the following method

FTP
          Notepad
          FTP
          Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by wc2
            Good old vi (NOT)

Whenever I needed to edit something I used the following method

FTP
            Notepad
            FTP
            And if there's no FTP service running on the server? Sometimes you've just got to be able to use things like vi.

Also, if the server is a *nix machine you're going to screw up the line endings by using notepad and seriously p!ss off the next person to open it up in any *nix editor.
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
              And if there's no FTP service running on the server? Sometimes you've just got to be able to use things like vi.

Also, if the server is a *nix machine you're going to screw up the line endings by using notepad and seriously p!ss off the next person to open it up in any *nix editor.
              Almost any editor other than Notepad will let you save in unix format.

I use vi if necessary, ftp/Textpad/ftp when possible. Avoiding the user-unfriendly editor on unix only to use the user-unfriendly editor on Windows instead is perverse.

Comment

vi is ok when you get used to the command/edit modes and all the different key stroke commands. I spent 6 months using it after a samba connection i was using broke and the sysadmin couldn't be arsed fixing it

Textpad - my editor of choice is fantastic for macros, dos commands, version control, code clip libraries, code syntax. Back in my oracle days I could even run SQL commands direct from it! A very versatile tool if you know how to use it.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

TSO EDIT, thats a real pain when you've changed ISPF parms and can't get into ISPF. Same with CMS EDIT...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt
                    TSO EDIT, thats a real pain when you've changed ISPF parms and can't get into ISPF. Same with CMS EDIT...
                    TSO EDIT with a printer/terminal and an acoustic modem. Them were the days!

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                      TSO EDIT with a printer/terminal and an acoustic modem. Them were the days!
                      But we don't need to put any of this stuff on our CVs as we're expected to know it. Mainframers are professionals
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X