• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: The Nukes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: The Nukes

"Smart meters threaten to interfere with nuclear missile warning system

Ministers stop the roll out of new smart meters to some homes near RAF Fylingdales

Nuclear missile early warning systems are at risk of interference from the roll out of smart meters, forcing energy bosses to halt installations across parts of Yorkshire, The Telegraph can reveal.

People living near RAF Fylingdales have been refused the upgrade because smart meter signals may clash with its ballistic missiles radar equipment.

Crewed by Royal Air Force staff on the North York Moors, Fylingdales scours the skies for ballistic missiles across a 3,000-mile radius, providing data to the US government to warn of an impending strike on America.

It is understood that the radio frequencies smart meters use to send data usage to suppliers has proven problematic because it is too close to those used by Fylingdales, formerly home to famous “golf ball” radar domes. They were demolished after the end of the cold war and replaced with pyramid structures.

Ministers have stopped the roll out to some homes within the North York Moors National Park until they can be kitted out with a new type of smart meter that can operate on the 454MHz frequency instead of the standard 422-424MHz band used by most smart meters. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...arning-system/

Can't say the residents are upset.

I normally change supplier just before they beg me to have a smart meter. This year with the screw up in energy prices as I can't change I'm being hassled weekly.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I was being incessantly nagged by Scottish Power to have a smart meter fitted. But I think I've finally convinced them that mobile reception round my way is so bad it wouldn't work.

My other objections are that with a lot of companies one can't switch suppliers without having to replace the meter, despite the fact they are supposed to be supplier-agnostic. Also, if one is even slightly late paying a bill then they can remotely cut off the supply or convert it to prepayment at the drop of a hat.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

My other objections are that with a lot of companies one can't switch suppliers without having to replace the meter, despite the fact they are supposed to be supplier-agnostic.
        This is my main reason for not wanting one.

Why would I go through the hassle and disruption of having one I installed so when I change supplier (again) I have to go back to reading my own meter?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
        X