• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renovation advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renovation advice

Guys and Girls

I'm looking to tap into the wealth of knowledge and experience on here.

I want to know a ball park figure for full renovation of a 3 bed semi in Home Counties. I know this will vary hugely depending on exactly what needs doing but I'm looking for some guidance.

I'm expecting to need:

Re wiring
    Central heating
    New kitchen - will be cheap one from B&Q or somewhere
    New bathroom
    Skimming walls
    New woodwork throughout (stair rails, doors, skirts etc)
    New carpets
    Re decoration

The house isn't huge and I will be doing some of the work myself but I guess I'm looking to see if opinion suggests it will be £15k or £50k.

assuming no significant structural problems

Thanks

Bear
    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Originally posted by Bear
    Guys and Girls

I want to know a ball park figure for full renovation of a 3 bed semi in Home Counties. I know this will vary hugely depending on exactly what needs doing but I'm looking for some guidance.

I'm expecting to need:

Re wiring
    Central heating
    New bathroom
    Skimming walls
    New carpets
    Re decoration

The house isn't huge and I will be doing some of the work myself but I guess I'm looking to see if opinion suggests it will be £15k or £50k.

Thanks

Bear
    £2000 Re wiring
    £2500 Central heating
    £5500 New kitchen - will be cheap one from B&Q or somewhere
    £3000 New bathroom
    £1500 Skimming walls
    £2000 New woodwork throughout (stair rails, doors, skirts etc)
    £3000 New carpets
    £5000 Re decoration

ish.....plus add 20% as it always goes over...
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

I'd say you could clear £25-30k total inc buffer.

Depends on stuff such as stairs/skirting if you want normal wood or post stuff. Same with bathroom and kitchen. I just installed a bathroom for the parents and it cost £1400 for everything, including a shower that was £1100 (reduced from £2000 in the sale). Its a fecking good shower.

Comment

I did this 2 years ago - cost £45k. But it was a luxury job. And converted a garage into a utility room/toliet/play room. I would guess £25k-£35k.

I can highly recommend the builder if you drop me a PM

Comment

Guys and Girls

I'm expecting to need:

Re wiring
          Central heating
          New bathroom
          Skimming walls
          New carpets
          Re decoration

Thanks

Bear

I used to get the information from the Public Library. There is an annual publication that sets out standard set of hourly figure and charges used by architects and builders. I am not sure if the information is readily available on the Internet. Ask at you library.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Guys and Girls

I'm expecting to need:

Re wiring
            Central heating
            New bathroom
            Skimming walls
            New carpets
            Re decoration

Thanks

Bear
            The Housebuilder's Bible by Mark Brinkley ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Housebuilder.../dp/0954867440 ) is the best book I've come across for estimating costs, it also gives you some decent explanations of the various trades and work involved. It's aimed at newbuild but gives you a decent starting point for working out renovations as you'll get an idea of labour costs worked out per m, m2, etc etc

I reckon its a few quid well spent !

Comment

Thanks guys,

I had estimated ~ £25K + £5k contingency - so at least i'm in the right ballpark. The breakdowns are useful, thanks

Rootsnall - I know of the book but don't have one. We've been looking for a plot to build on for ages but can't find anything. I was going to buy the book when (if) we find one.
              Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Thanks guys,

I had estimated ~ £25K + £5k contingency - so at least i'm in the right ballpark. The breakdowns are useful, thanks

Rootsnall - I know of the book but don't have one. We've been looking for a plot to build on for ages but can't find anything. I was going to buy the book when (if) we find one.
                Plots are a bit elusive and overpriced I'm afraid, especially in your neck of the woods. Too many people like us watching C4 DIY programs !

Your estimated cost will depend a lot on how much you intend managing and doing it yourself versus farming it out to a builder at a fixed price. If you take a lot of it on yourself, then mixing that with a fulltime contract can be a nightmare. If you can juggle things right its a good between contract filler !

Comment

Working...
                X