• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got an email from an agent yesterday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got an email from an agent yesterday

It dosen't happen very often these days but I get the odd one every now and again.
    Quite a wide keyword search too as they admitted in the email that this is what they had done.

What flabbergasted me was this: "Send me a CV in Word 2013 format with no headers, footers, tables or text boxes and no red lines under any spellings as we cannot accept them"

So it seems to me that unless they have a very wide and varied custom Word dictionary that even on the last one pretty much every CV will fail.
    Is this is acommon thing now?
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Ask the agent if it would be OK to post them a stack of punched cards with your CV on them in ASCII
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Ask the agent if it would be OK to post them a stack of punched cards with your CV on them in ASCII
      or EBCDIC? perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
        It dosen't happen very often these days but I get the odd one every now and again.
        Quite a wide keyword search too as they admitted in the email that this is what they had done.

What flabbergasted me was this: "Send me a CV in Word 2013 format with no headers, footers, tables or text boxes and no red lines under any spellings as we cannot accept them"

So it seems to me that unless they have a very wide and varied custom Word dictionary that even on the last one pretty much every CV will fail.
        Is this is acommon thing now?
        I used to send my CV with key words in white test in the spaces. The agent's retirements would match each time and guaranteed to get short listed.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I used to send my CV with key words in white test in the spaces. The agent's retirements would match each time and guaranteed to get short listed.
          Only if the agent's spelling was as sh!t as yours...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

That seems like a very peculiar set of requirements, especially the version of Word. That would exclude people who use OpenOffice or Google Docs, or whatever Mac users use? If you're on a later version of Office you can't save down to 2013, your option is to save down to 97-2003. (I know that 2013 is compatible with later versions but I wonder if the sender knows that)

Encouraging people to check their spelling is fine but, as you say, unless they have every known word in their dictionary it's going to have a squiggle or two.

Sounds to me like that email was written by a total numpty. Oh, yes, it was an agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              That seems like a very peculiar set of requirements, especially the version of Word. That would exclude people who use OpenOffice or Google Docs, or whatever Mac users use? If you're on a later version of Office you can't save down to 2013, your option is to save down to 97-2003. (I know that 2013 is compatible with later versions but I wonder if the sender knows that)

Encouraging people to check their spelling is fine but, as you say, unless they have every known word in their dictionary it's going to have a squiggle or two.

Sounds to me like that email was written by a total numpty. Oh, yes, it was an agent.
              The whole thing struck me as rather weird.
              My CV is only available to recruiters as a PDF anyway, after an incident a while back.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post

The whole thing struck me as rather weird.
                My CV is only available to recruiters as a PDF anyway, after an incident a while back.
                It's totally the sort of email/agent I'd want to have some fun with if I were bored enough.

Comment

They have some tool to load it into a database, sounds like it was written some time ago. There's no job, they are going to sell on your details.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                    They have some tool to load it into a database, sounds like it was written some time ago. There's no job, they are going to sell on your details.
                    It doesn't matter - the job was not a fit. At £250/ day inside - yeah right. Oh and I retired nearly a year ago!
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X