• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone play World of Warcraft / Second Life etc?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SL? You sad, sad, f*****s!

Comment

"Currently running a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Campaign."

I used to be a shop manager for Games Workshop before going to Uni, getting a degree, getting laid and growing up.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I used to be a shop manager for Games Workshop before going to Uni, getting a degree, getting laid and growing up
        Miaow Pussycat !

Seriously though, roleplay is a great social enviroment, and one which taxes the brain cells. Either that or watch BB and I know which is more useful in giving the grey matter a workout.

Tonight's Adventure.

The Party (Rob, Job, Jay and Jackie) are Road Wardens. Their job is to travel the highways and dirt tracks of The Empire, looking for trouble. (The Empire is like 16th Century Medieval Europe, filled with brigands, bandits, and Chaos)

They stop at a small town (pop 1300 : Economy Agriculture, Cheesemaking, Hog Breeding) and visit the local Herbalist to sell some “poisons” acquired from a previous adventure.

Road Wardens are like a local Police Force, who keep the roads clear, and wear open badges, marking them as officials of “The Emperor”.

However, they decide to “hide” the pins, when attempting to sell the poisons to the local Herbalist.

The poor Herbalist has a fit when he sees these highly dangerous toxins, however, some of them are very rare ingredients, so he offers to buy them.

As they are chatting, a figure comes in through the door, and looks flustered and wishes to talk to the Herbalist in private.

The Herbalist excuses himself, and takes him out back to chat in private, asking the players to “peruse the shelves”.

Do my players “peruse” ? Hell no…they are all ears and want to know what’s going on.
        (This is the plot hook for the adventure, and the players grab it without realising)

Local Merchant has a problem. He needs some “sleeping draughts” to help ease his problems. (Players are even more interested now). Merchant mentions that he may consider asking for some help from some strangers. Merchant gets his goods, and the PC’s literally jump him as he leaves.

Merchant explains his dilemma. His daughter is due to marry in 8 days time, to a local lord. Arranged marriage and all that. A convenient arrangement to both families.

Except, the Merchant, who is a Lord by name, doesn’t have proof of his Nobility.

[This is a problem because the Lord who he is marrying his daughter to is financially bankrupt and needs the Merchant’s dowry. The Merchant is marrying his daughter to climb the social ladder. Win-win all round.]

The Merchant is convinced that his family have noble blood and needs the Players to confirm this.

[Unknown to the Players, the Merchant’s Arch-Rival (Mr B) is spreading rumours that the Merchant (Mr A) is not of “noble stock” and the Lord will be “marrying down”]

Players are asked to head to a hamlet 80 miles away, where Merchant (Mr A) family originated and check out their origins and a possible family crypt.

Players head to hamlet. Stay at a Coaching Inn, During the night, mercenaries at the inn, sneak out, sap the stable boy, lock the stable doors, and set fire to the hayloft.

[They were hired by Merchant (Mr B) to ensure Merchant (Mr A) didn’t get his hired help to the hamlet. Merchant (Mr B) wanted his daughter to be the Lord’s Bride]

Players woke in the night to absolute chaos. Horses trying to escape (and injuring themselves in the process…of which 4 horses were their own mounts), stable boy crying for help in a locked and flaming stable, patrons of the inn trying to put out the flames, etc.

They wake, grab weapons (but not armour, they have no time to equip), head downstairs and out, just in time to witness the chaos. 5 Mercenaries in the courtyard, 3 on horseback and ready to ride off in to the night, 2 standing around, having just thrown lanterns.

To cut it short, some horses survived, some died, they save the stable lad, and feck feck feck

Feck feck feck means that the Captain of the Mercanaries, who was a real bad chappie and should have given them a hard time, was well and truly scr3wed by my players. 3 Crtitical Hits and he goes down like a whore in Bankok.

[Now, some Game Master’s advocate “fudging” the dice in situations like this to prolong the dramatic battle. I personally favour handing the players victories for skill and luck, when they do well, and as a GM, I then rewrite the rest of the adventure to adapt to their skill and success. I like this style of play, because it stops me as a GM reading an adventure and going though the motions with the players. It forces me to adapt and challenges me as well]

2 Mercs got away, 3 died. Players hailed as heroes. 2 players captured a merc who ran away, and got limited info from him about who hired him. Their suspicions were that a rival to Merchant A was involved, but they had no proof.

Players (PC’s) travelled to Hamlet. Met Lord Z of the area. He wasn’t keen they snoop around the local cemetery, as there was a “Ghost” in the area. PC’s offered as Road Wardens to investigate. Lord conceded but gave them 24 hrs in his hamlet.

The Players discovered that there was a temple in the graveyard to the God of the Dead, a Deity who watched over the deceased. [Not an Evil God…just a God worshipped by most of the population to ensure that their remains stayed sanctified]

The searched for a priest but none was found. They discovered writings in the priest’s bureau that indicated that the Crypt of Merchant A was here.

They searched the valley and found no crypt matching Merchant A. They did find a Crypt belonging to Lord Z. They noticed that the plaque reading “Crypt of Lord Z” had been tampered with.

They investigated the crypt. Found a body. The Priest. Priest appeared as a Ghost, driving 2 Players almost mad. Ghost explained he was murdered. Party investigated Crypt and discovered that this was a Crypt to Merchant A’s Family over 400 years ago, but Lord Z had appropriated it for his own family. Merchant’s A’s deceased had been removed or buried lower in the crypt.

3 of them descended deeper in to the crypt, and the 4th stayed about surface to watch the entrance. And then Hell Itself broke loose...…..
        Last edited by Board Game Geek; 12 February 2007, 10:11.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I miss games - used to be dangerously hooked on dark age of camelot, and I've got a copy of WOW sitting on a shelf, uninstalled. Gave up games (And a substantial portion of my life) studying for CCIE, cause I know what'll happen if I start playing ... I did make $300 selling my DAOC characters off though ...

BTW In my youth I loved D&D/AD&D/MERC etc, used to DM mainly. Kind of lost touch with it after uni but thinking of it again makes me wonder what it would be like to play again.

BBTW Anyone here ever play diplomacy?
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
            Miaow Pussycat !

Seriously though, roleplay is a great social enviroment, and one which taxes the brain cells. Either that or watch BB and I know which is more useful in giving the grey matter a workout.

Tonight's Adventure.
            ...etc.
            BGG, how do you play - the old fashioned way, all around a table, or networked on ur PCs?

Comment

What you don't realise is that you are all characters in 'first life' a game devised by a higher intelligence many millennia ago...
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                What you don't realise is that you are all characters in 'first life' a game devised by a higher intelligence many millennia ago...
                You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                  You been spending time with Christian fundamentalists?
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
                    You been spending time with Christian fundamentalists?
                    No I can think for myself thankyou, why are we all hear then? or are we? how would you know?
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

You laugh but what will happen in the future if the characters in second life 'evolve' and start to think for themselves, we will be like gods looking in with the power to delete/install 'life'

How do you know this has not already happened? You may think that’s ridiculous but surely no more than what we know now i.e. sod all really...

Comment

Working...
                      X