• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BUSTED

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BUSTED

More than 800 suspected criminals have been arrested worldwide after being tricked into using an FBI-run encrypted messaging app, officials say.

Quite Interesting. Anyone who recommended the app is going to be pooing bricks too...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

That was not the busted I was thinking of

Comment

This is what I go to skool for ...

Comment

Why give away how they caught them?

Surely they could have caught even more over a longer period of time if they'd just let it go on longer, planning it properly. You could easily catch them out time and again, sending them into spirals of paranoia at the same time.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

"
          More than 800 suspected criminals have been arrested worldwide after being tricked into using an FBI-run encrypted messaging app, officials say.

The operation, jointly conceived by Australia and the FBI, saw devices with the ANOM app secretly distributed among criminals, allowing police to monitor their chats about drug smuggling, money laundering and even murder plots.

Officials called it a watershed moment.

Targets included drug gangs and people with links to the mafia.

Drugs, weapons, luxury vehicles and cash were also seized in the operation, which was conducted across more than a dozen countries. This included eight tons of cocaine, 250 guns and more than $48m (£34m) in various worldwide currencies and cryptocurrencies.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the operation had "struck a heavy blow against organised crime" around the world.

European Union police agency Europol described Operation Trojan Shield/Greenlight as the "biggest ever law enforcement operation against encrypted communication".

"
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            It will be in court filings anyway and they could not wait for too long whilst knowing about planned murders etc.

Ultimatly the police would just be happy if they disrupt easy communications between criminals

HTH

ATW in "Sherlock" mode!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Surely they could have caught even more over a longer period of time if they'd just let it go on longer, planning it properly. You could easily catch them out time and again, sending them into spirals of paranoia at the same time.
              I would guess it had got leaked/discovered. I imagine there might still be more fruit to fall though.
              Announcing it might also get everyone paranoid and overall make networks less efficient if nobody trusts each other?

edit: hadn't seen Atw's comment but yes that makes sense.

Also he'll love that some people are saying current bitcoin price drop is in response to stories about police seizing crypto from gangs
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
              X