• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official DOOM: Breakfast

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post

There are a few cost of living indices usually used for ex-pat purposes and produced by the likes of Mercer, a global HR and rewards consultancy. I think the Economist does one too. The basket of goods and services though is more aligned with an ex-pat lifestyle so perhaps not quite what you have in mind.

There's Numbeo which is partly crowdsourced and that covers cost of living at a country level plus about 600 cities. The basket is more like the one you've described.

Including housing costs, I think the real rate of inflation for most people is nearer to 5% rather than 1-2%.
    I think the real figure should reflect a family with both parents working and earning the median income, living in the median sized house, living in the median priced location. Then it would be easy to see if the cost of living is rising for Mr + Mrs average.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      The price of breakfast: soaring costs bolster fears of global food inflation

The prices of raw materials that go into morning staples have surged since the start of the pandemic

The cost of raw materials that go into making breakfast staples have roared higher since the pandemic began — raising fears that a broad commodity boom could push up global food prices for consumers. Prices for bulk contracts of coffee, milk, sugar, wheat, oats and orange juice have jumped 28 per cent on average from 2019 levels, according to trading on US futures markets, where companies lock in supplies or hedge their exposure to commodities costs. For meat-eaters, adding pork to that list pushes the average price rise to 32 per cent.”

https://www.ft.com/content/007bd0a0-...c-ec5b0ef4374d

DOOMed, Officially!
      US money supply is like 40% higher than it was last year. Prices will increase to match, inflation will be like 20% soon with Bidenomics.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

I think the real figure should reflect a family with both parents working and earning the median income, living in the median sized house, living in the median priced location. Then it would be easy to see if the cost of living is rising for Mr + Mrs average.
        There are some "protected classes". Parents with children I would expect would have access to some benefits.

When I first came to uk, about 6y ago. Weekly shopping was around £50. Now is about £80, at least. Single person.
        Was renting a 2 bed flat with a friend in dinky Basildon for £850 (and I remember being annoyed for it being expensive). Now it is £1100. CT tax, utilities, you name it. All up.

It's messed up. I pity the people that are ready to retire now, their pots will be worth significantly less 5y from now.

Comment

Working...
        X