• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The green energy revolution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The green energy revolution

Click image for larger version  Name:	_110797717_wikado.goodplaygroundpicturecreditdenisguzzo-wikado_rotterdam_by_superuse_studios_denisguzzo_6425_r-536x338-2x.jpg Views:	0 Size:	230.0 KB ID:	4163825
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 May 2021, 09:25.
    I'm alright Jack

Why?!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Why were they being taken down? Is this where we find out that these multi million pound pieces of kit that only work within specific wind speeds, and have to be turned off when the beaufort scale says it's a bit breezy, now only have a 10 year functional life span and we have to expend lots of energy to take them down and make new ones?

Also, for a bonus rant, that blowing up video is nowhere near as entertaining as controlled demolitions of power station chimneys. Definitely a PR fail there.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Why were they being taken down? Is this where we find out that these multi million pound pieces of kit that only work within specific wind speeds, and have to be turned off when the beaufort scale says it's a bit breezy, now only have a 10 year functional life span and we have to expend lots of energy to take them down and make new ones?

Also, for a bonus rant, that blowing up video is nowhere near as entertaining as controlled demolitions of power station chimneys. Definitely a PR fail there.

Wind Turbines have a 25 year life span, so if wind becomes the main source of energy you can probably calculate that there is going to be massive demand for steel.

https://www.twi-global.com/technical...-turbines-last

Conventional turbines are also subject to the same stress but can easily be refurbished, rather like jet engines. I used to work for a turbine generator manufacturer and refurbishment was big business. Wind generators can't be refurbished because it's too expensive to take them back to the factory. Blowing up wind turbines will become increasingly commonplace.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Wind Turbines have a 25 year life span, so if wind becomes the main source of energy you can probably calculate that there is going to be massive demand for steel.

https://www.twi-global.com/technical...-turbines-last

Conventional turbines are also subject to the same stress but can easily be refurbished, rather like jet engines. I used to work for a turbine generator manufacturer and refurbishment was big business. Wind generators can't be refurbished because it's too expensive to take them back to the factory. Blowing up wind turbines will become increasingly commonplace.
          I nearly said 5 year lifespan but I tempered my assumption filled rant with 10 instead 25 years sounds more reasonable. With a traditional power station having a 25-40 year lifespan, and nuclear around 80 I think, one would expect to see work into wind turbines to extend their operational life. I bet there's some argument against putting wind turbines on the site of demolished power stations, which would be a good reuse of land.

Comment

Comment

I nearly said 5 year lifespan but I tempered my assumption filled rant with 10 instead 25 years sounds more reasonable. With a traditional power station having a 25-40 year lifespan, and nuclear around 80 I think, one would expect to see work into wind turbines to extend their operational life. I bet there's some argument against putting wind turbines on the site of demolished power stations, which would be a good reuse of land.
              Drax power station was first commissioned in the 1970's and the same machines are still in service. They can largely be refurbished in situ. There is probably no limit to life of power stations built since the 1960's.

https://www.drax.com/about-us/our-history/
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

In 25 years we’ll have cold fusion reactors at home

NEXT!

Comment

They are not chimneys! They are cooling towers and give off water vapour. However, the environmentalists try to show them as giving off smoke which is grossly misleading.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

They are not chimneys! They are cooling towers and give off water vapour. However, the environmentalists try to show them as giving off smoke which is grossly misleading.
                    That is very true. I typed chimneys before looking for a good video and forgot to change it. There is one chimey in that video but they're less exciting, hence going for a cooling tower.

Comment

Working...
                    X