• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MPs and their Financial Interests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPs and their Financial Interests

Is there a place we can search what MPs have shares in etc.

Or is this a stupid request on my part

After reading about Matt Hancock allegedly not declaring all his financial interest in the Topwood Ltd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56768601

"In March, he declared he had acquired more than 15% of Topwood Ltd, which was granted the approved status in 2019."

"The MPs' register did not mention that his sister Emily Gilruth - involved in the firm since its foundation in 2002 - owns a larger portion of the shares and is a director, or that Topwood has links to the NHS"

The press act like all this was a mystery, but there must be public records of all this stuff.

I have spent many a happy hour watching Anti-Bribery training videos for various Clients I have engaged with over the years. Would be scared to accept a free coffee these days.

Is there nothing for MPs Not implying bribery here but conflict of interest I would say so.

Why not just publish a list of who owns what and where. Ban all corporate work whilst a sitting MP. Fill your boots after you leave.

Love to know what could be implied about the Chancellor, and you know, Father-in-Laws companies

Well there's the register of members' interests, that relies on them reporting such things:
    https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-...ial-interests/

You can search CoHo for directors and see which MP has directorships of which company.

You can search Ancestry.co.uk for the family tree of all MPs and then search CoHo for what their siblings are associated with.

Of course, you can't search overseas (Jersey, Panama, etc) equivalents of CoHo

Comment

Not really possible to do that. Need some efficient journalist/researcher to do it for us. And present it in a nice clicky web page.

Comment

Surely you meant, MPs and their Financial Innerests?

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
          Is there a place we can search what MPs have shares in etc.

Or is this a stupid request on my part

After reading about Matt Hancock allegedly not declaring all his financial interest in the Topwood Ltd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56768601

"In March, he declared he had acquired more than 15% of Topwood Ltd, which was granted the approved status in 2019."

"The MPs' register did not mention that his sister Emily Gilruth - involved in the firm since its foundation in 2002 - owns a larger portion of the shares and is a director, or that Topwood has links to the NHS"

The press act like all this was a mystery, but there must be public records of all this stuff.

I have spent many a happy hour watching Anti-Bribery training videos for various Clients I have engaged with over the years. Would be scared to accept a free coffee these days.

Is there nothing for MPs Not implying bribery here but conflict of interest I would say so.

Why not just publish a list of who owns what and where. Ban all corporate work whilst a sitting MP. Fill your boots after you leave.

Love to know what could be implied about the Chancellor, and you know, Father-in-Laws companies
          Hancock has lots of criticism, but I can't see where it is in this case. Declaring the fact his sister is a shareholder is not required and if you think a SoS goes anywhere near the day to day activities such as procurement contracts for his department, let alone one for a devolved administration is ludicrous.

I love the fact that Tory ministers are frowned upon for their ties with business, yet Labour is pretty much run by the Trade Unions which is essentially the same conflict or even worse due to the number of times they have blocked candidates or dictated policy.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Hancock has lots of criticism, but I can't see where it is in this case. Declaring the fact his sister is a shareholder is not required and if you think a SoS goes anywhere near the day to day activities such as procurement contracts for his department, let alone one for a devolved administration is ludicrous.

I love the fact that Tory ministers are frowned upon for their ties with business, yet Labour is pretty much run by the Trade Unions which is essentially the same conflict or even worse due to the number of times they have blocked candidates or dictated policy.
            I would think all MPs should be included. So I agree Trade Unions [LABOUR] do offer the same conflict of sorts. I guess if we knew all this in advance the papers would have less juicy stories to write.

Comment

Working...
            X