• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

China’s secret loan contracts reveal its hold over low-income nations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China’s secret loan contracts reveal its hold over low-income nations

“Researchers expose stringent clauses which give Chinese lenders priority over other creditors

Chinese lenders have used legal contracts to give them a hidden advantage over other creditors when lending to low-income countries, in a trend which threatens to undermine global debt relief efforts, according to research. Many of the contract terms were unusually strict and gave Chinese loans priority for repayment while prohibiting borrowers from restructuring their Chinese debts in co-ordination with other creditors, the report published on Wednesday said.“

https://www.ft.com/content/7e98795f-...e-6e21c345d4a9

OMG, what a shocking revelation - Chinese are not dumb when loaning Chinese taxpayer money to corrupt 3rd world Govts!

How very dare!

Forward 20 years and expect lots of protesters complaining the Chinese enslaved various nations. They probably should watch out for the tanks.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Forward 20 years and expect lots of protesters complaining the Chinese enslaved various nations. They probably should watch out for the tanks.
      They've a lovely railway line to transport their tanks westward...
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I also wonder what strings the Russian and Chinese 'vaccine diplomacy' comes with too.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I also wonder what strings the Russian and Chinese 'vaccine diplomacy' comes with too.
          How dare you, Vlad the Invader is a cuddly teddy bear.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I've a mate from Taiwan, so heard a lot about this, a quote I really took to was : "If you didn't like Chinese communism, just wait till you see Chinese capitalism"

Influenced, I believe by the horrendous Mr Dart (styrofoam cup man) they aim to bankrupt and then effectively own entire parts of nations, by posing as friends offering cheap or free cash out of the love of the country. (Billionaire Dart’s Argentine Unit Raided by Tax Agents - Bloomberg)

Debt trap diplomacy is the plan for Africa and fringe nations. For the west , cheap mass manufacturing in China is not a co-incidence, its a way to effectively control supply chains and disrupt economies.

They control ports in many strategic locations, they are giving a lot of people very cheap loans then hiking them up and punishing them with land grabs.

The strategic Hambantota port, which was funded by a Chinese loan to the Sri-lankan leader, was leased to Beijing on a 99-year debt-for-equity swap in 2017 after the country failed to pay off the debt. (https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/77462770.cms)

Pakistan owes $10 billion debt to China for Gwadar port, other projects: US general - World News (indiatoday.in)

etc etc.

They have assured sole access to some oil producing countries, they have a deal for cash with Ecuador that they can only export oil to China, if China requests it.

Conspiracy? maybe - but personally I believe it. (Don't get me wrong tho, Im not coming from a racist or Covid blame game , I think that's rubbish - but China are playing a long game)

Comment

Working...
            X