• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New variant might not be any more transmissable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    This new variant happens to by chance easier to detect in testing and is identifiable using existing PCR testing whereas other variants aren't.
    That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that.

I guess a test selection bias could partly explain the infection rate apportioned by (biased) testing.

Statistics are hard enough. Moving from correlation to causation is even harder.

Comment

"UK reports more than 53,000 daily Covid cases"

Coronavirus updates: UK announces daily record number of Covid cases - BBC News

Comment

Interesting idea - obviously no one knows anything for sure just yet. Having said that, in every one of those graphs you have posted, the new variant is growing at a significantly faster rate wrt the old variant, even if in some cases the new variant is broadly flat, the old variant is dropping sharply. Also the simple fact that case numbers are rising at an unprecedented rate, despite near lockdown conditions over most of the population, schools shut for nearly 2 weeks so far etc. Something is going on.

Comment

Wonder what graph represents the most people crammed into the London Underground

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I'm told it gets in care homes and everyone gets it, staff, patients, relatives. Everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
              I like your thorough, scientific, and logical breakdown and rebuttal to the technical analysis given by the professor with a doctorate in statistics from Stanford.
              Who chose to publish in the Spectator? What’s its impact factor?

Comment

“ People with Covid variant are 50% more likely to infect others

No evidence that strain causes higher risk of death or severe illness

Contacts of people with the new coronavirus variant are 54 per cent more likely to develop the disease, according to new analysis from Public Health England.

They found, however, that it did not appear likely to cause more severe disease or higher death rates.

Researchers found the “secondary attack rate”, or proportion of contacts of confirmed cases that develop the disease themselves, was 15.1 per cent for people with a confirmed case of the new variant and 9.8 per cent for people confirmed to have another variant.“

People with Covid variant are 50% more likely to infect others | News | The Times

Don’t they read Spectator?
                Last edited by AtW; 29 December 2020, 21:02.

Comment

I guess Stanford professor was wrong

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    I guess Stanford professor was wrong
                    What does Simon Dolan say?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      What does Simon Dolan say?
                      I resent any accusation that Simon Dolan received less than an Ivy League education.

Comment

Working...
                      X