• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Herod had the right idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeh. I used to walk to primary school after a few months. Kids are pretty competent. Far too protective these days.

Daft that one is not even considered a full adult until 18. I hitchhiked round Denmark at 16.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Yeh. I used to walk to primary school after a few months. Kids are pretty competent. Far too protective these days.

Daft that one is not even considered a full adult until 18. I hitchhiked round Denmark at 16.
      Less cars around when you were a kid.

Funny thing is because more parents insist on driving their "darlings" to school they make it more dangerous for other parents "darlings".

After parking permits were introduced in my area, I saw a female parent try to attack a 6ft+ male parking attendant in front of a crowd of people. She had parked her SUV on the zigzag lines of one of the schools near me to pick up her little darling. It made the local papers. All parents were then warned if they attacked any parking attendants or local resident over parking not only would they be prosecuted but their kid(s) would be kicked out of the school.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It were all just fields around my way when I were a lass.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          It were all just fields around my way when I were a lass.
          Have you been running through fields of wheat much?

Comment

Less cars around when you were a kid.
            Good point SE. Mostly just horse and carts. Actually, we did have a few Steptoe and Son type rag and bone men back then.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Good point SE. Mostly just horse and carts. Actually, we did have a few Steptoe and Son type rag and bone men back then.
              I'm sure I saw a rag n bone man using a horse in the 00s.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                Where should they leave them? In my day I was locked in the car, but I don't think that is allowed anymore.
                The pub.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  At 5yo it was normal for us to walk to and from school alone. At 7yo, we would be alone at home and cook. These days parents panic at leaving 18yos to be at Uni.
                  My friend from Owlsmoor used to walk to and from school at the age. Right past Broadmoor. Even if one of them had escaped.

I don't think his parents liked him much....

Comment

Working...
                  X