• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Study / Home Kits (MCSE)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking of getting that training set also, does anyone know when the next MCSE certifications will be out to incorporate Vista etc?

Comment

Years ago I was asked if I had MCSE cert so I added it to my CV. Never been asked again.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

If you need a book to pass an MCSE exam, then I think you're in the wrong profession...
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

do it in south africa. at least you'll get a nice holiday out of it and you can put it through the books...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
            Why did you rate your own thread a 5 *?
            I didn't think that anybody took any notice of the rating.... clearly I was wrong... sorry for clicking .... We are touchy today!

Originally posted by mictech
            download the CBT nuggets there whiteboard lectures and I found with the books worked out well so far.
            I think I understood this. Thanks Mictech.

Originally posted by ratewhore
            Bricklaying and chippying is something to fall back on, not an MCSE...
            That's me fooked then!

I totally agree Buffoon but if it means me spending a few quid, getting something out of it and playing the game so that I can honestly put it on my C.V then that's what I have to do. Especially as I'm choosey where I want to work.

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
            If you need a book to pass an MCSE exam, then I think you're in the wrong profession...
            Helpful Robert! Thanks.
            -------------
            Cactus

Comment

Hi Cactus,

I bought this kit http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=3SHP it seems pretty comprehensive. I went this instead of some CD only based kits as I can read it at any time.

HTH
              Last edited by gables; 29 January 2007, 16:21.

Comment

I've had my MCSE details on my CV since '98. Nobody, not even one agent/interviewer/etc. has ever even asked me about it let alone told me to get the paperwork out.

I'm not saying that it's a completely pointless exercise just take ratewhore's advice and do it in South Africa, that way you'll see a benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus
                  Hi All,

I'm looking to start my MCSE 2003, think it's about time that I finally sat down and did it. I don't particularly want to get into the discussion on its value. IMHO I've done alright without it so far. But it gives me something to fall back on hopefully it will be of some use and I might actually learn something from doing it. (i.e. some SQL and more in-depth Exchange Stuff).

There have been a couple of roles in the past where my C.V has been rejected by agencies based purely on the fact that I don't have an MCSE. It's almost as if the certification was used as a filter. "Yes you have the relevant experience blah, blah, blah, but my client specifically specifies that anyone I put forward has to have the certification".

So to get past that filter and hopefully be able to apply for those roles with slightly better daily or hourly rates I think it's about time that I hit the books.

I've tried some of the sample Learnkey CD's but I think I need some form of classroom style folders or literature to help me absorb it better (after all the subject is fairly dull). Including that I need Lab exercises etc. and tips to pass the exams.

I'm currently thinking of getting these...
                  http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6274.aspx
                  Found them for approx £90. Does anybody else know of anything that would suit me better?

Does anybody have any opinions on the CompTIA + Certifications? Better to go with these or down the MCSE route?

I'd give you a precious advice. Dont go for MCSE , go for Vista/Longhorn knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by gables
                    Hi Cactus,

I bought this kit http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=3SHP it seems pretty comprehensive. I went this instead of some CD only based kits as I can read it at any time.

HTH
                    Nice1 Gables thats exactly what I linked too, although you've found it cheaper than I did I like the Idea of paper based stuff as some of the CDs I've got are useless and takes a long time to get to the place where I left off. I'll possibly mark the pages and highlight stuff too.

How did you find the content?

Originally posted by 2uk
                    I'd give you a precious advice. Dont go for MCSE , go for Vista/Longhorn knowledge.
                    Thanks, but by the time a company is ready to migrate to Vista it'll be at least 2009. I'd quite like to get involved in migration projects so I'll keep my options open.
                    -------------
                    Cactus

Comment

It seems pretty comprehensive, I've taken the view that all the info is in there to pass the exams, it is Microsoft's training kit after all. The simulated exams look genuine and you can customise them to focus on a particular area, which I think might be useful.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X