• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extinction Rebellion Are Back!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talking of extinction: https://twitter.com/RodriguesJasonL/...79139314708481
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Hmmm, you say 'fear' even though what they are talking is fact. I get you don't like the facts as you don't want to change, but let's not pretend that climate change isn't happening mate. It is, and yes, it can be fearful, but hey, that's the way it is.

But if you don't care about the world your kids, and their kids, are going to end up living in then that's fine. Feel free to stick your head in the sand and pretend climate change isn't happening
      I think you've got some kind of comprehension issue. Was it big words like "dichotomy" that threw you? You seem to think that being against XR and their tactics is the same as being a climate denier. One or the other.

This might make the world easier for you to understand, but the true situation is somewhat more nuanced.

Now. It is possible to be entirely factual and fear monger. Here's a definition "the action of deliberately arousing public fear or alarm about a particular issue." You'll notice there that there is nothing in that about whether the presented information is true or not. It's to do with the way it is presented.

Some of what XR say is true. Some is plain wrong. Some of it is taking the most extreme scenarios. Some of it is hotly contested by climate scientists. Furthermore, they contend "this is happening - our protests are the only way to stop it". That's is opinion, not fact, and highly debatable.

Never once have I said climate change isn't happening nor that if it is happening that it isn't caused by human activity. It is, and it most probably is.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Why are they fear mongering? Factually, they are more accurate than the climate change deniers.

Like I say, if you have taken the effort to have kids and spread your genes, and you still like those kids and you want them to breed too, I'd have thought climate change would be quite important to you. But, you know, if you don't care about the future of the planet and how future generations may suffer then yep, ignore the XR movement.
        Not always possible, unfortunately. Ask the people of Bristol, who can't move around freely. Ironically, Bristol is planning to ban diesel cars, apparently. Normally the eco-loons would be shutting down London, but Covid-19 has already done that...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          Not always possible, unfortunately. Ask the people of Bristol, who can't move around freely. Ironically, Bristol is planning to ban diesel cars, apparently. Normally the eco-loons would be shutting down London, but Covid-19 has already done that...
          It's not ironic. There's a connection between the presence of XR in Bristol and environmental policies in Bristol.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            It's not ironic. There's a connection between the presence of XR in Bristol and environmental policies in Bristol.
            Their work in Bristol is therefore done, surely? It's time to move onto somewhere which doesn't yet have plans to ban diesels, unless they can't be arsed to get the bus to somewhere else (just as long as it's nowhere near me).
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Their work in Bristol is therefore done, surely? It's time to move onto somewhere which doesn't yet have plans to ban diesels, unless they can't be arsed to get the bus to somewhere else (just as long as it's nowhere near me).
              Lots of busses have diesel engines

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Lots of busses have diesel engines
                Buses good. Cars bad. Get with the programme, dear...

Comment

I don't follow them closely but they probably have broader aims than banning diesel vehicles - like the dismantlement of the entire apparatus of the Roman imperialist state.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I don't follow them closely but they probably have broader aims than banning diesel vehicles - like the dismantlement of the entire apparatus of the Roman imperialist state.
                    Oh, they're marxists. I should support them then.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Oh, they're marxists. I should support them then.
                      Stop bullying vetran. Its reminiscent of the NAZI rise to power.

Comment

Working...
                      X