• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another one from the IR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

might as well go back to using a fecking brolly

except for all the other little bits not connected to the main contract that i need to invoice for.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
      ...let's face it hardly any contractors are ambitious to do this...
      Well, actually .....

It's too late for me. Short of nuLieBore being sent to the gallows and compensation for the damage that they have done, I'm off out of here this year for good.
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Well said Denny. I am inclined to agree.

If this legislation gets any worse I am pulling out of IT or I am upping sticks and moving abroad. I am not going to become an employee in this business in the UK.

I wish we could get enough contractors together for us to all take a week off to attend a seminar on contracting.
        If we all pissed off for a week then maybe someone would notice just how vital we are.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          Do I realy have to go through this again?
          No, you don't have to. I know all this. I have used exactly the same example myself (with Accenture instead of EDS as it happens), to make the points that it makes.

It contains some good points but the question of the difference between investing and working is not one of them. The "profit" of the contractor's Ltd Co is not profit on invested capital. That is the crucial point about what I am trying to say.

You seem to think that, because I am arguing with you, I am saying that you should be taxed more than share investors. I am not saying that, because I do not believe that. I am simply saying that they are different things.
          Last edited by expat; 25 January 2007, 12:04.

Comment

The answer to this I think is this:

Two contractors set up two independent companies. Both hold shares in the other. That means your dividends are paid to you by a company where you don't work.

Requires a lot of trust though, and that both parties are earning roughly the same, but legally they couldn't touch you because either party is not legally obliged to pay dividends if they don't want to.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

It's only a matter of time before contracting becomes unsustainable as a career option.
              My answer is simple and would put an end to all this uncertainty and nonsense. Allow contractors who genuinely operate as owner managed businesses exempt from IR35 but who clearly don't intend to grow their business (let's face it hardly any contractors are ambitious to do this) to freelance as owner managed businesses just like any other sole trader.
              I agree with you completely on the latter point. when I was contracting in France that was exactly what it was like. The French taxman is not known for throwing money away, but the French tax system's strong reach meant that they had no need to make these distorting non-factual assumptions: they could let you be self-employed because they'd get their tax anyway.

Likewise in the UK: just let us be self-employed, and IR35 would wither.

However I don't agree with your first point. Contracting will remain sustainable, you may just make less net money than you were accustomed to thinking that you would. that won't stop me: I'm a contractor because I don't want to be an employee, not as a way of escaping paying social contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                The answer to this I think is this:

Two contractors set up two independent companies. Both hold shares in the other. That means your dividends are paid to you by a company where you don't work.

Requires a lot of trust though, and that both parties are earning roughly the same, but legally they couldn't touch you because either party is not legally obliged to pay dividends if they don't want to.
                Hmm, do you really think that HMRC and the courts never look through transparent arrangements to see the reality behind?

Couldn't touch you? If you believe that....

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                  Hmm, do you really think that HMRC and the courts never look through transparent arrangements to see the reality behind?

Couldn't touch you? If you believe that....
                  Why not, HM Tax so far have failed to get contractors for IR35 in spite of seeing through the transparent arrangements behind one man Ltd companies.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I see your point on invested capital as the bona fide reason for rewarding by divi payments. However, the type of business we are in doesn't require invested capital except the time and effort and training we put in to make ourselves marketable to end-clients who want our services on a no MOO basis. Also, we need to consider that EBs insist that we use a limited co structure and that clients insist on using EBs to hire contractors.

That alone is reason enough to justify paying out divis and salary all the time the situation remains the way that it is.
                    I'm not trying to have the last word (honest!) but it's all part of not being allowed to be self-employed. If we were, then clients and EBs would be ok with that.

I'm quite sympathetic to the idea that it's all Hector's fault for screwing us up in the first place. Let us be self-employed, and slap the NIC tax on all income or on none.

Comment

"the type of business we are in doesn't require invested capital except the time and effort and training we put in to make ourselves marketable to end-clients who want our services on a no MOO basis."

Surely that is the investment. If I want to learn something I have to sit down and plough through it - I do this on my time, when I could actually be working. So If I book onto a cource for a week, I give up my fees for that week. This is a loss to my company and what I would argue is the investment, plus the cost of the course etc. It is hard to quantify how long it takes to get some information into your head. If we didn't invext in our skills we would see our incomes drop in the process. Just how many Windows 3.1 or Novell 3.11 support people are there out there these days?
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X