• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quit Smoking - Status Progress Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny
    Remember, my earlier thread just after New Year when I said I was 2 days into quitting?

Well it's now just over three weeks and not a puff has exited my mouth since.
    Be thankful you're not at the client where I started last week. They have things called smoke tests, run by a smoke server, and every other word seems to be about smoking, in connection with these tests!

Apparently the term comes from hardware testing, when the tester plugs a board in a PC and checks it doesn't start overheating and smoking. (Also printers test new fonts by holding them in a candle and manually pressing them on a sheet and checking the impression left by the soot.)

The guys at the client also use a system called agile programming, with two week sprints and a "scrum" meeting every morning where we all stand around like a privy council meeting.

They're are a good bunch, but perl hackers whose hobby seems to be finding the latest and greatest new module and shoehorning it into the code. You wouldn't believe how complex the system is, and today I heard them talking excitedly about a new object oriented module called Moose - groan - yet another thing I'll have to learn
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
    X