• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got The Sack

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Antell is your man.
    Remember small claims you cannot win your costs. Main court, gonna be expensive.

But if you have the time and money and are happy to spend your next clients time and effort on a court case and are a pedantic son of a bitch then do as most people on here say and sue.

Personally. It's not worth the hassle and most on here are talking tulipe.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
      John Antell is your man.
      Remember small claims you cannot win your costs. Main court, gonna be expensive.

But if you have the time and money and are happy to spend your next clients time and effort on a court case and are a pedantic son of a bitch then do as most people on here say and sue.

Personally. It's not worth the hassle and most on here are talking tulipe.
      I hear ya MF, makes me wonder why do we bother with contracts? it seems the stuff is not worth the paper its written on. Will try Antell

Comment

Wait till they blink

So they are stuffed then its a stitch up and you have it in writing.

So far you are up to 2 weeks pay, keep going but don't spend a lot on it, hunt for a contract in the interim.

I have a vague memory contractor notice has a demonstratable loss portion to it, i.e. if you get another contract in the interim you can't get the money as you suffered no loss. So keep pushing until you get another contract and then consider accepting their offer, obviously don't tell them you got another contract.

IANAL etc.

Of course if the IT director has found out they have been lying and taking hisd name in vain he may be mad enough to sack / reprimand the lot of them so its a little bit of revenge.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Absolutely. I was after a months money but picked up a new contract within 10 days. So therefore all I could sue for was the 9 days I was out of work!!!

So unless your sockpuppet or Denny who cant seem to get a contract then take the money. Otherwise go on a website and take tulipe.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim
            I hear ya MF, makes me wonder why do we bother with contracts? it seems the stuff is not worth the paper its written on. Will try Antell

a looong time ago (uni days) I had to write an essay about contract law, after doing all the required research looking at all cases, I have concluded that contracts are dead (I think my essay title was 'Death of a contract') this is because with most cases any party can argue how the contract is not valid as at the time of signing the contract the circumstance were different, or interpret some of the conditions completely differently in the light of new circumstance... so I agree, contracts can be useless, may I add am not sure about how useful all this indemnity and liability insurances we take !! wonder if its all a waste of time and money !!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
              So unless your sockpuppet or Denny who cant seem to get a contract then take the money.
              Bah. For accurancy I think that should be edited to "if you are sockpuppet and keep turning down roles". I am actually 3:3 for interviews:job offers ratio since the start of the year. What can I say...I'm just fantastic.

When I find a role that is becoming of my talents (and more inportantly the money) I'll take it.

Infact I've only ever not been offered the job once when I went for an interview and that was for a job at ASDA as Santa claus when I was a student....

Comment

MF is (partly) right - you don't want to waste a lot of time and effort on this, especially if it distracts you from the main thing of finding a new contract. That is priority #1.

However, it works both ways. Most clients (and agencies) don't want the hassle either and if you give the appearance of fighting until the bitter end, they'll probably cave in. Almost all of mine have / did.

Lastly, under the statute of limitations, you have six years to pursue a claim, so do what I do, add this to a 's**t list' of cases. Then, later when you've got your new contract and are maybe have some free time you can chase it up - works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
                  MF is (partly) right - you don't want to waste a lot of time and effort on this, especially if it distracts you from the main thing of finding a new contract. That is priority #1.

However, it works both ways. Most clients (and agencies) don't want the hassle either and if you give the appearance of fighting until the bitter end, they'll probably cave in. Almost all of mine have / did.

Lastly, under the statute of limitations, you have six years to pursue a claim, so do what I do, add this to a 's**t list' of cases. Then, later when you've got your new contract and are maybe have some free time you can chase it up - works for me.
                  flipping heck Robert, how many times have you been sacked

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                  X