• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Mostly good advice it seems to me. I'd only quarrel with one point from my time in Zurich: no 4. ISTM that there were no cheap things to do.

Don't get me wrong: money's good, tax is low as nowhere else in Europe, and I'd go back tomorrow. But cheap it ain't.
    So my plan of living in a hovel off bread and cheese for six months will still take all my profits?

Comment

It's been a while since I was there, but living in Oz where life is cheaper than the UK, I have just had a colleague return who says she finds lots of 'everyday stuff' expensive.

I think if you live in moderation you could be well off financially.

If you're going as an employee (contractor may count as well, not sure) it will make a difference on your tax depending on the canton that you live in. E.g canton X will charge you 7% whilst canton y will charge 12%.

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Pot View Post
        So my plan of living in a hovel off bread and cheese for six months will still take all my profits?
        cheese is more expensive in Switzerland than you might think.

Comment

I find it isn't too bad. Somethings are cheap, eg petrol and electronic goods.

Food is more expensive. Your flat doesn't have to be expensive if you live in the outskirts, and not in the centre of town.

I find all in all if you look and shop around you can keep costs down.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            I find it isn't too bad. Somethings are cheap, eg petrol and electronic goods.

Food is more expensive. Your flat doesn't have to be expensive if you live in the outskirts, and not in the centre of town.

I find all in all if you look and shop around you can keep costs down.
            If you are in for a quick buck I don't think Switzerland is the right place. If you want good services and a good lifestyle for an adequate price then it's good. I lost all hope for savings since I arrived and noticed how easy the money goes here. On the other hand the pension is good and that would be the major saving. But only on the long run. If you plan to stay for a short time just to make a little money and then move somewhere else I would go directly somewhere else.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
              If you are in for a quick buck I don't think Switzerland is the right place. If you want good services and a good lifestyle for an adequate price then it's good. I lost all hope for savings since I arrived and noticed how easy the money goes here. On the other hand the pension is good and that would be the major saving. But only on the long run. If you plan to stay for a short time just to make a little money and then move somewhere else I would go directly somewhere else.
              As they say of Lausanne, it's a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there.

Comment

oh dear...I'm here for a quick buck.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                X