• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

COVID paranoia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I have shown how Nordic countries have a shared culture, which the UK is not a part of. Do you really think that Sweden is not culturally more similar to Denmark and Norway (for instance) than it is the the UK?

I didn't say that. I was explaining why culture is a relevant factor, once you had stopped discussing the differences between Nordic and UK culture and started questioning the relevance of culture. And neither have I said at any point that the differences between Nordic and UK are a question of social cohesion vs rugged individualism.

Can you evidence your statement around people in the UK overdoing sticking to the rules in comparison to the Nordic countries? Can you explain where I said that the UK was a country of rugged individualism. I described a continuum.

You still haven't said why the UK is a better comparator for Sweden than Nordic countries, or to give a specific example, Denmark?

That was your insinuation. There was absolutely nothing in those quotes that talked about any cultural differences between scandi countries and the uk that would have any affect on the transmission of the virus and resulting deaths from it. Oddly enough, the second one spoke a lot about happiness - ironic given that Sweden is a ciontry I've always associated with a high suicide rate. And I don;t see what happiness has to do with stopping you catching a bug.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

He was so much more fun when he posted as YaroslavPatterson, don't know why he wanted this other user.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Firstly, I note that you still haven't said why the UK is a better comparator for Sweden than Nordic countries, or to give a specific example, Denmark? Why won't you say?

Originally posted by Excursion UK View Post
          That was your insinuation.
          My insinuation was that the UK was more towards the rugged individualist end of the continuum than the Nordic countries. Not that it could be referred to as a rugged individualist country. I used the term "continuum" to make this clear, but perhaps the nuance was lost on you?

There was absolutely nothing in those quotes that talked about any cultural differences between scandi [sic] countries and the uk that would have any affect on the transmission of the virus and resulting deaths from it.
          So you need to come down on one side or the other here. Are you saying that culture is not a relevant factor, or that it is a relevant factor but Swedish culture is as comparable to the UK's as it is to other Nordic countries?

Oddly enough, the second one spoke a lot about happiness - ironic given that Sweden is a ciontry I've always associated with a high suicide rate. And I don;t see what happiness has to do with stopping you catching a bug.
          You are still struggling on the difference between "catching a bug" and public behavioural changes within a pandemic.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            That's a bit harsh. When did cretinism become a banning offence? The place would be very quiet.

Comment

My insinuation was that the UK was more towards the rugged individualist end of the continuum than the Nordic countries. Not that it could be referred to as a rugged individualist country. I used the term "continuum" to make this clear, but perhaps the nuance was lost on you?
              Please do not patronise me

Firstly, I note that you still haven't said why the UK is a better comparator for Sweden than Nordic countries, or to give a specific example, Denmark? Why won't you say?
              I've never said it was a better comparator, merely that it was an entirely fair comparator.

So you need to come down on one side or the other here. Are you saying that culture is not a relevant factor, or that it is a relevant factor but Swedish culture is as comparable to the UK's as it is to other Nordic countries?
              Of course it's a factor but I see no significant difference between the culture of the scandi countries and that of the uk's in this respect. The only thing I could possibly add to this effect is that everything is so eye wateringly expensive that nobody goes out to pubs and bars. But having visited several times myself, I know this not to be true.

Comment

That's a bit harsh. When did cretinism become a banning offence? The place would be very quiet.
                Indeed and it looks like being a tedious twunt is a mandatory qualification, hence your 13 year tenure here

Comment

Please do not patronise me

I've never said it was a better comparator, merely that it was an entirely fair comparator.

Of course it's a factor but I see no significant difference between the culture of the scandi countries and that of the uk's in this respect. The only thing I could possibly add to this effect is that everything is so eye wateringly expensive that nobody goes out to pubs and bars. But having visited several times myself, I know this not to be true.
                  So what do you think would be a better comparator, Denmark or the UK? Of all the "fair" comparators, why is it the UK that you choose?

Comment

Indeed and it looks like being a tedious twunt is a mandatory qualification, hence your 13 year tenure here
                    So to be clear, are you saying you're a tedious twunt?

Comment

So to be clear, are you saying you're a tedious twunt?
                      Don't be tedious. Read the whole sentence

Comment

Working...
                      X