• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reuters Fact check: London’s Cenotaph war memorial was not defaced on 3 June

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Actually there's a campaign to rename it, by the victims of this man.

'Liver branding' surgeon Simon Bramhall fined GBP10,000 - BBC News
    Your google foo let you down a bit

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Your google foo let you down a bit
      Excuse my little joke.

Comment

I've not said anything about racists. I was talking about slave traders. Do please try to keep up (although you're clearly cross about the whole thing).

As for Henry VIII, make an argument for each case individually. If you're bothered about statues of Henry VIII, say something. If you're bothered about people who are bothered about statues of Henry VIII, go and find someone to have a go at. If you're bothered about people who are bothered about other statues but not about Henry VIII and you're worried about inconsistency, then be consistent and also worry about people who care about or donate to one cause but not about / to another similar cause. Otherwise you are being inconsistent yourself, so maybe you could just have a stern word with yourself.
        Not cross at all I'm quite enjoying myself actually. Watching someone who constantly deflects from questions or takes offence about spelling to cover their own ignorance is quite amusing.
        Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Simple argument: reductio ad absurdum fallacy to avoid the issue. Is that the next line of defence after abandoning the slippery slope?
          Slippery slopes should be banned. From here on in, all slopes are to applied be with slip-proof coating. Until slip-proof coatings are banned, at which point, slopes will be allowed to go upwards only.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
            Not cross at all I'm quite enjoying myself actually. Watching someone who constantly deflects from questions or takes offence about spelling to cover their own ignorance is quite amusing.
            So nothing to say about the substance of my reply? How ironic.

Comment

Let's take a few case that have been mentioned here.

Edward Colston - on one hand he was a philanthropist, on the other he was a slave trader
              Henry VIII - on one hand he founded the Church of England, on the other hand he persecuted Catholics and treated his wives badly
              Cromwell - on one hand he overthrew Charles I, on the other hand he persecuted Catholics
              Churchill - on one hand he led the UK to victory in WW2, on the other hand he led the UK as a power suppressing its colonies.

An argument can be made for each of these cases independently to retain or remove statues. There is no slippery slope here. Argue each on its merits.

Comment

Edward Colston - on one hand he was a philanthropist, on the other he was a slave trader
                Henry VIII - on one hand he founded the Church of England, on the other hand he persecuted Catholics and treated his wives badly
                Cromwell - on one hand he overthrew Charles I, on the other hand he persecuted Catholics
                Churchill - on one hand he led the UK to victory in WW2, on the other hand he led the UK as a power suppressing its colonies.

An argument can be made for each of these cases independently to retain or remove statues. There is no slippery slope here. Argue each on its merits.
                I suppose the issue many people have is a mob bypassing that argument for each case and just tearing it down. I think that's where the slippery slop slopes.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  I suppose the issue many people have is a mob bypassing that argument for each case and just tearing it down. I think that's where the slippery slop slopes.
                  That is one issue that people have.

The other issues appear to be "what about Henry VIII?" and similar stuff.

Comment

On that basis, I demand the destruction of the statue of Paul Gascoine

Paul Gascoigne and Jonathan Edwards statues unveiled - Chronicle Live

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                      perhaps if the protesters educated themselves they would realise that africans werent the only victims of the slave trade, its an evil trade for sure but they werent always the victims, indeed they were perpetrators

it doesnt fit with the current narrative, but if people understand this then they may feel less victimised, calm down and act more reasonably

Slavery on the Barbary Coast - Wikipedia

"between 1 million and 1.25 million Europeans were captured by Barbary pirates and sold as slaves "
                      Somewhere in Cornwall, can't remember where but may be Mousehole, there is a plaque commemorating the occasion when a number of residents were seized by barbary pirates and, presumably, taken to North Africa to be sold into slavery.

Comment

Working...
                      X