• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reuters Fact check: London’s Cenotaph war memorial was not defaced on 3 June

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Or they could take the statue down.
    It's better to have it requested and make a proper good news story around its removal because it is deemed no longer appropriate rather than have people breaking lockdown guidelines/laws and committing criminal damage though.

Teachers taking part in the Manchester protests yet the schools are meant to be re-opening today. The R factor is already above 1 round here without Saturday's gathering.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Or they could take the statue down.
      So you're in the eradicate the slave trade from Britons biggest slave port camp then and lets pretend it never happened camp? How very white privileged of you.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

So you reckon Dominic Cummings has had his spray paint can out?
        How else is he supposed to check his eyesight.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
          My personal view is someone should be judged by the norms of their time. The slave trader while abhorrent by today's standards broke no laws of the time and was a great philanthropist in comparison to the norms of the time.

Will the buildings he funded in Bristol now be pulled down as they were paid for with dirty money or any of the buildings from the 17th-19th century? Or is it convenient for Bristolians to erase why they have great architecture in their city and believe their city had nothing to do with the slave trade or the profit from the colonies? Will his statue be replaced by a memorial to the slave trade and Bristol's involvement in it and the people of Bristol asking for forgiveness on behalf of their ancestors who profited from it?

Indeed It does seem to be represented to our youth that only Africans were slaves, they believe they were singled out for abuse.

Slavery in Britain - Wikipedia

The Jews/Cornish/Thracians/Gauls etc. don't count.

Were Hebrews ever slaves in ancient Egypt? Yes - Archaeology - Haaretz.com

Some of these Semites came to Egypt as traders and immigrants. Others were prisoners of war, and yet others were sold into slavery by their own people. A papyrus mentions a wealthy Egyptian lord whose 77 slaves included 48 of Semitic origin.

Are we going to tear down Bath or Egypt?

We have actually formally apologised.

African chiefs urged to apologise for slave trade | World news | The Guardian

The Civil Rights Congress of Nigeria has written to tribal chiefs saying: "We cannot continue to blame the white men, as Africans, particularly the traditional rulers, are not blameless."
          The appeal has reopened a sensitive debate over the part some chiefs played in helping to capture their fellow Africans and sell them into bondage as part of the transatlantic slave trade.
          They didn't want the slave trade to stop unlike William Wilberforce & co who convinced the UK to unilaterally abolished slavery in the British Empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wilberforce

Luckily we can rely on Anthony Joshua & other BLM protesters to base their investments on racist terms.

So lets stop looking at the past and move forward, or at least balance our views.

Why not deal with modern slavery?

http://www.endslaverynow.org/learn/slavery-today

There are an estimated 21 million to 45 million people trapped in some form of slavery today. It’s sometimes called “Modern-Day Slavery” and sometimes “Human Trafficking." At all times it is slavery at its core.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

So you're in the eradicate the slave trade from Britons biggest slave port camp then and lets pretend it never happened camp? How very white privileged of you.
            You seem very cross about this. I'm saying that the statue should be removed / kept removed.

Unfortunately you've gone off on some emotionally incontinent tangent and decided I want to pretend the slave trade never happened, or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Indeed It does seem to be represented to our youth that only Africans were slaves, they believe they were singled out for abuse.

The Jews/Cornish/Thracians/Gauls etc. don't count.

Were Hebrews ever slaves in ancient Egypt? Yes - Archaeology - Haaretz.com

......[/URL]

This is the information that the public service organisation the BBC should be providing to the public, to put this in perspective and stop this nonsense

Comment

You seem very cross about this. I'm saying that the statue should be removed / kept removed.

Unfortunately you've gone off on some emotionally incontinent tangent and decided I want to pretend the slave trade never happened, or something similar.
                You're the one who deflected from my question 3 times...

So for the fourth time do you agree with the white washing of Britons biggest slave ports history and should Bristolian's be apologising for their ancestors activities during the slave trade instead of removing all traces of their links to the slave trade? Or are you so hard of thinking you can only come up with rubbish one liners and continue to deflect?
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

You're the one who deflected from my question 3 times...

So for the fourth time do you agree with the white washing of Britons biggest slave ports history and should Bristolian's be apologising for their ancestors activities during the slave trade instead of removing all traces of their links to the slave trade? Or are you so hard of thinking you can only come up with rubbish one liners and continue to deflect?
                  Bless your cotton socks (and please work on your spelling and orthography).

I think the statue should be removed.

Your questions are rather odd and have odd premises, but to make you happy, I'll engage with them.

I don't think that history should be whitewashed. I do think that statues honouring slave traders should be removed. I don't think Bristolians should apologise for things they haven't done, although I'm not sure what you mean by that - do you mean every single Bristolian?

I hope you can now see that there is a difference between wanting to "whitewash" history and wanting not to honour slave traders.

Comment

Bless your cotton socks (and please work on your spelling and orthography).

I think the statue should be removed.

Your questions are rather odd and have odd premises, but to make you happy, I'll engage with them.

I don't think that history should be whitewashed. I do think that statues honouring slave traders should be removed. I don't think Bristolians should apologise for things they haven't done, although I'm not sure what you mean by that - do you mean every single Bristolian?

I hope you can now see that there is a difference between wanting to "whitewash" history and wanting not to honour slave traders.
                    So, would you remove every statue that offends someone? Would you remove Churchills statue?

Comment

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X