• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One rule for them...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One rule for them...

Daily commuting treated as work

Civil servants whose jobs have been moved out of Edinburgh are being allowed to treat some of their journeys to the office as work.
    (They) can count the phone calls, e-mails and paperwork they do while commuting by train to Glasgow as part of their day.

The 150 staff of Transport Scotland relocated to Glasgow last year. Of these, 57 were having their extra travel expenses paid for.

A Scottish Executive spokeswoman said "The travel expenses will not be available to relocated staff indefinitely, and will be withdrawn after five years."
    Not 2 years? Indeed, since they know it's permanent, wothdrawn now?

Sweet. I might save that for when HMRC come looking for me.

Comment

it doesn't say anything about tax due on those travel expenses
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

The difference between these guys and you is that they are actually paying income tax

Mailman

Comment

And where does the portion of a state employee's salary paid in income tax come from?
          I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
            it doesn't say anything about tax due on those travel expenses
            Um, you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus
              And where does the portion of a state employee's salary paid in income tax come from?
              It ceases being yours when it is handed to the state.

Stop whinging and pay up. It's only fair after all.

Comment

Working...
              X