• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When lockdown is lifted is anyone planning to return to the office?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd always hated working from home. Never had the self-discipline for it.
    Now that I've not had the choice and have trained myself to be focussed and strong willed, I'm not going back into the office for more than one or two days a week when/if the time comes. I've also given up my accommodation (I worked outside London) which makes my resolution easier.

Comment

I will go into the office first day I am allowed. I am getting too bored at home.

Both the wife and I were working in offices with positive covid-19 people while they were symptomatic the week before we started working from home. My wife's coworker in particular was bad. The coworker was at work for 2 whole days coughing non stop and sits directly beside her and tested positive the following day.

I had 2 people at my office who had it but neither were people I interacted with much other than a friendly hello.

Regardless we either didn't get it or didn't get symptoms, we didn't get tested. I will still be cautious and likely won't interact with anyone who is symptomatic but that's about as far as I feel I need to go to be comfortable. Also helps that I walk to the office, don't have to take public transit, and can move to another part of the office or go home if someone nearby is coughing or visibly ill.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        I will go into the office first day I am allowed. I am getting too bored at home.

Both the wife and I were working in offices with positive covid-19 people while they were symptomatic the week before we started working from home. My wife's coworker in particular was bad. The coworker was at work for 2 whole days coughing non stop and sits directly beside her and tested positive the following day.

I had 2 people at my office who had it but neither were people I interacted with much other than a friendly hello.

Regardless we either didn't get it or didn't get symptoms, we didn't get tested. I will still be cautious and likely won't interact with anyone who is symptomatic but that's about as far as I feel I need to go to be comfortable. Also helps that I walk to the office, don't have to take public transit, and can move to another part of the office or go home if someone nearby is coughing or visibly ill.
        Well you sound selfish. Just like the builders next door. They say ahh well everyone around us getting ill but we're not so let have a bbq with loads of people. Its not about you it's about you passing it on to others.

I know of an ex work colleague who passed away two weeks ago due to covid. Good health only 52 with no underlying issues. My brother-in-law works at hospital and has seen many die at all ages. It ain't no joke. What I want is for society to get back to normal and that means restricting unessasary business office commute due to managers wanting to see your face or because you are bored of home. You wouldn't say that if a second wave hits that kills way more people like the Spanish flu. You might also think you'll be fine that time round but instead on your death bed.

Think smart not stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
          Well you sound selfish. Just like the builders next door. They say ahh well everyone around us getting ill but we're not so let have a bbq with loads of people. Its not about you it's about you passing it on to others.

I know of an ex work colleague who passed away two weeks ago due to covid. Good health only 52 with no underlying issues. My brother-in-law works at hospital and has seen many die at all ages. It ain't no joke. What I want is for society to get back to normal and that means restricting unessasary business office commute due to managers wanting to see your face or because you are bored of home. You wouldn't say that if a second wave hits that kills way more people like the Spanish flu. You might also think you'll be fine that time round but instead on your death bed.

Think smart not stupid.
          Fair enough that you feel that way. I understand a lot of people like yourself are quite scared but the data doesn't support your position. It's a position based in emotion. That's totally valid, you are entitled to live your life that way.

I am not putting anyone at risk by my position. You are absolutely entitled to be more cautious than guidelines put out by government. I will continue to have maximum freedom that I am legally allowed to have and will follow the minimum guidelines while maintaining a minimum level of caution.

When the government says to open offices back up I will be there first day. If you call that careless then you're also calling the government guidelines careless which of course you're entitled to do so.
          Last edited by jayn200; 30 April 2020, 08:12.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            The Nautitech is very nice. The outremer 55 I've been on, amazing vessel really is. Love how you can change the helm position weather depending. Also having surround views from one deck is a plus with must catamarans in general.

New Outremer 55 Catamaran - Outremer Yachting
            Nice!

However it's missing a couple of very important items.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Think smart not stupid.
              The poster didn't sound selfish at all. They sounded sensible and pragmatic. You need to stop reading the news and read the science.

Anyway I am off out for my second exercise of the day... (oh the crime!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                The poster didn't sound selfish at all. They sounded sensible and pragmatic. You need to stop reading the news and read the science.

Anyway I am off out for my second exercise of the day... (oh the crime!!!!)
                Don't need to read anything or watch the news. I work for the nhs and so does my brother-in-law who is a doctor at a hospital. Its not something I'm getting via news or some statistics or data. Its first hand info from family and work.

Comment

Don't need to read anything or watch the news. I work for the nhs and so does my brother-in-law who is a doctor at a hospital. Its not something I'm getting via news or some statistics or data. Its first hand info from family and work.
                  I don't dispute that your brother in law is witnessing tragedy on a daily basis. It's unfortunate.

I just think your anger/fear is misplaced. If you really think there is a problem with government policy then talk about government policy. There is plenty to criticise there.

Personally I am not scared but that also doesn't mean I am going to be foolish and go lick some infected person in the face. I am following guidelines but feel absolutely no need to go above and beyond them.

If I wasn't 32, in perfect health with no at-risk persons in my household, and with a work environment/commute that is set up in a way that I can be safe maybe i would feel differently. You should understand there are people in this country who aren't in the same position as you but that if you feel unsafe you are completely within your rights to take extra precautions.

I merely shared my story to show some balance to the mass hysteria out there. Vast majority of infectious spread is via direct contact of more than 15 minutes with a symptomatic carrier with some outliers shown in contact tracing showing some asymptomatic carriers spread the infection through extended direct contact. That's what the science shows and that's what the government guidance is mostly based on (even if some aspects have been flawed and/or delayed).

This idea that you are going to walk down the street and pass by an asymptomatic carrier and immediately drop dead is a little bit much but that's somehow what it's morphed into in the minds of millions of people with too much time on their hands (Not saying you made that claim).

Comment

You are being a melodramatic silly billy to be frank.

My connections with the NHS is
                    • Mother in law - nurse
                    • Brother in law - nurse
                    • Father - porter
                    • Mother - bed manager

I am well in tune with what is and is not going on in the NHS and it doesn't give me any more or less of a platform for an opinion. All you doing is mouthing off half arsed abuse at another poster. Give it a rest, read the science (or ignore as you seem to be suggesting you are) and crack on with whatever path you want to do but others will want / hope / choose different paths and that isn't selfish.

The government advice is we can go to work if the work can't be done at home and we need to socially distance. Its not selfish to want to get back to work.
                    Last edited by dx4100; 30 April 2020, 11:16.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                      I think there is too much of their prerogative that would be at stake to accept such a position. They would fight it tooth and nail.
                      If it were a few weeks sure. If it's months then HR and TPS-obsessed line-managers might think they can do their 'work' remotely. Get everyone to install spyware and key-loggers to check you're working enough.

Saw this: Barclays boss: Big offices 'may be a thing of the past' - BBC News
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X