• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WHO says recovery from Covid may not prevent reinfection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Thanks for the laugh, though. Keep drinking and destroying what few brain cells you had in the 1st place.

I'll drink to that!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      It would be quite unusual for infection not to confer immunity, so I for one am not panicking. Mind you, if it doesn't confer immunity, panicking wouldn't help anyway.

Like the common cold, mutation means no guarantee can't catch it again as the antibodies only protect to a limited degree and don't last a long time in the body, if I'm getting what I've read right.

This is one area that the public need more accurate information as soon as it is available. What are the risks of catching the virus and what are the chances and risks of catching it again, such as if first hit is mild is there a tisk the second hit will be more serious.

"Game over man, game over" springs to mind if this virus is as hard to protect against as the common cold, and if second or third infections cause worse and worse outcomes due to how the immune system responds and no existing treatments are effective in avoiding that.

Hopefully the facts (when they become available) will show it's not that bad, and they'll have those facts substantiated before the world economy is totally ashes. If not then it will be interesting to see what phoenix rises from them. I predict it will be speaking chinese.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        Like the common cold, mutation means no guarantee can't catch it again as the antibodies only protect to a limited degree and don't last a long time in the body, if I'm getting what I've read right.
        The reason why you get 2 or 3 colds a year is that each one is caused by a different virus. There are over 200 viruses that cause the common cold. When you've got over a cold, you're immune to that virus strain. Most of the viruses that cause the common cold are rhinoviruses - the mutation rate of these is around 5 years to get a new strain. The SARS-CoV-2 virus appears at the moment to not have such a high mutation rate. That means that if you have it, you're likely to be immune for several years. It also means that it is likely that an effective vaccines can be made.

Of course, it may turn out to mutate much more quickly, it may even be able to reinfect. The evidence so far suggests otherwise.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The reason why you get 2 or 3 colds a year is that each one is caused by a different virus. There are over 200 viruses that cause the common cold. When you've got over a cold, you're immune to that virus strain. Most of the viruses that cause the common cold are rhinoviruses - the mutation rate of these is around 5 years to get a new strain. The SARS-CoV-2 virus appears at the moment to not have such a high mutation rate. That means that if you have it, you're likely to be immune for several years. It also means that it is likely that an effective vaccines can be made.

Of course, it may turn out to mutate much more quickly, it may even be able to reinfect. The evidence so far suggests otherwise.
          "Immunity passports" in the context of COVID-19

Please post the evidence you refer to and be super certain to let the WHO know about it whilst you’re at it.
          Originally posted by Old Greg
          I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
            "Immunity passports" in the context of COVID-19

Please post the evidence you refer to and be super certain to let the WHO know about it whilst you’re at it.
            The WHO already has the evidence from my sources, since they work for/with the WHO. I'd be fascinated to know which bit of the WHO's announcement you think contradicts anything I've written.

TL;DR The chances that you'll be able to be re-infected are not high. At this stage, it's not something to worry about, as there is no real evidence that you can be reinfected.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The WHO already has the evidence from my sources, since they work for/with the WHO. I'd be fascinated to know which bit of the WHO's announcement you think contradicts anything I've written.

TL;DR The chances that you'll be able to be re-infected are not high. At this stage, it's not something to worry about, as there is no real evidence that you can be reinfected.
              I have friends who are doctors. They are now seeing people who were either hospitalised and tested or had more serious symptoms but were not tested and stayed at home, but with the typical more obviou symptoms of a sore throat initially, headache for days, followed by tight chest, cough, returning to the NHS now with another case, 2 months down the line.

I say: the jury is out. The NHS have been slow to react on this because they've ignore the experience of Italy and China who have similarly reported people returning to healthcare after disappearing for a month or two. Researchers from China, for all the CCP's fault in this, were quick to highlight that viral load was later detected in a far higher quantity than when the patients were discharged from hospital after 4 negative tests over a few days.

It is likely that the viral load is very low, undetectable by the PCR test used, from which people are ok for a month or two and then the viral load increases again. The reason this is worrying is because in that time these patients are likely to have been at home recovering under a lockdown scenario in which they aren't likely to have been out working in stressful jobs. In ideal conditions to rest and recuperate their viral load has increased dramatically to the extent they are now moderately or severely unwell again. This is the worrying, as it means that this promised antibody test sounds, to me, like a load of tulip. What percentage of people who now feel better have a very low undetectable viral load and can be expected to return with higher viral load at some point down the line? As the UK is rather introspective, we won't know for months, but from what I am hearing up here it looks as if we may have a second wave of patients already considered to have had it and gotten better, nevermind those who haven't had it and are subject to this much talked about second wave.
              Last edited by rogerfederer; 26 April 2020, 17:04.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                I have friends who are doctors. They are now seeing people who were either hospitalised and tested or had more serious symptoms but were not tested and stayed at home, but with the typical more obviou symptoms of a sore throat initially, headache for days, followed by tight chest, cough, returning to the NHS now with another case, 2 months down the line.

I say: the jury is out. The NHS have been slow to react on this because they've ignore the experience of Italy and China who have similarly reported people returning to healthcare after disappearing for a month or two. Researchers from China, for all the CCP's fault in this, were quick to highlight that viral load was later detected in a far higher quantity than when the patients were discharged from hospital after 4 negative tests over a few days.

It is likely that the viral load is very low, undetectable by the PCR test used, from which people are ok for a month or two and then the viral load increases again. The reason this is worrying is because in that time these patients are likely to have been at home recovering under a lockdown scenario in which they aren't likely to have been out working in stressful jobs. In ideal conditions to rest and recuperate their viral load has increased dramatically to the extent they are now moderately or severely unwell again. This is the worrying, as it means that this promised antibody test sounds, to me, like a load of tulip. What percentage of people who now feel better have a very low undetectable viral load and can be expected to return with higher viral load at some point down the line? As the UK is rather introspective, we won't know for months, but from what I am hearing up here it looks as if we may have a second wave of patients already considered to have had it and gotten better, nevermind those who haven't had it and are subject to this much talked about second wave.
                I hurt my wrist this weekend. Do you have any experience in distal radius fractures?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I hurt my wrist this weekend. Do you have any experience in distal radius fractures?
                  Isn't that commonly referred to as "******'s Wrist"?
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I am still recovering from the virus. I lost a close family friend. I do not want to go through this hell again.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                      I am still recovering from the virus. I lost a close family friend. I do not want to go through this hell again.
                      Sorry to hear that.

I'm also recovering. It seems that any SARS instance takes a few months to be considered fully healed. If you're feeling better don't rush back into exercise too soon and be easy on yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X