• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DimPrawn's trading thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Indeed Sweden has no lockdown.

Sweden defends no lockdown policy

Of course one can disagree or agree with it but it is possible to completely lift the lockdown.
    Herd immunity means let the disease rip through the herd, the ones that live through the illness are immune. Eventually those that will die of it are dead and problem solved.

Not a very humane way to treat disease is it?

Comment

Indeed Sweden has no lockdown.

Sweden defends no lockdown policy

Of course one can disagree or agree with it but it is possible to completely lift the lockdown.
      The numbers disagree with you.

How Sweden and Norway handled coronavirus differently - Business Insider

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        I'm not saying which strategy is best I'm pointing out that partial lockdown is by no means some kind of new permanent reality.

Wuhan celebrated coming out of lockdown a couple of weeks ago.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Herd immunity means let the disease rip through the herd, the ones that live through the illness are immune. Eventually those that will die of it are dead and problem solved.

Not a very humane way to treat disease is it?
          I'm not arguing that herd immunity is the way to handle the crisis, I'm pointing out that when the case number is low enough you can lift the partial lockdown completely.

eg South Korea.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

I'm not saying which strategy is best I'm pointing out that partial lockdown is by no means some kind of new permanent reality.

Wuhan celebrated coming out of lockdown a couple of weeks ago.
            Strawman. Nobody said it's a permanent reality. 'Lockdown' is a misnomer. What you have is restrictions. They are different in different places. And they will be flexed - restricted and tightened. Some things will happen earlier, some later.

Comment

Chicken drumsticks or chicken breast, which is best?

I'm a chicken breast man myself.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

In any case if there is a business that goes into permanent or semi-permanent lockdown you may as make it illegal and then you cease to have a partial lockdown.

By the end of the summer either businesses will have closed permanently or the lockdown has been lifted and the economy will be free of lockdown. Restaurants might just do takeaways, but it isn't a lockdown.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

I don't see a problem with classifying something as a "lockdown" or "partial lockdown". We all know what it means, roughly, even if there are degrees. Social distancing is different and that will last for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Strawman. Nobody said it's a permanent reality. 'Lockdown' is a misnomer. What you have is restrictions. They are different in different places. And they will be flexed - restricted and tightened. Some things will happen earlier, some later.
                    A lockdown is where people can't travel or do what they want. That won't be the case by the end of the summer.

Wearing a mask or standing 2m apart from someone isn't a lock down. It's like saying introducing speed limits on the motorway or security checks at an airport is a lockdown.

Or have we redefined the term "lockdown".

Lockdowns damage the economy safety precautions don't.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

A lockdown is where people can't travel or do what they want. That won't be the case by the end of the summer.

Wearing a mask or standing 2m apart from someone isn't a lock down. It's like saying introducing speed limits on the motorway or security checks at an airport is a lockdown.

Or have we redefined the term "lockdown".

Lockdowns damage the economy safety precautions don't.
                      Basically agree with you, although I think social distancing will continue to make a large fraction of retail and hospitality non-viable for many months to come. But it's category different than a lockdown.

Comment

Working...
                      X