• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK sex workers in 'dire and desperate' need amid coronavirus lockdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    My point is you will never eradicate it, just like prohibition you will invite the most ruthless to run it. Selling sex for money or power is as old as the hills, it isn't going away.

Hell yes tax it and lock the traffickers up for not paying tax, I don't care why they go behind bars just that they do.

If we regulate it we can test the workers, get them off drugs & counsel them- its a win-win. Its also the least of all evils.
    It's like murder. Ban it and it just goes underground.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

Indeed. Legalise the honest ones, prosecute the bad ones.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's a bit tulip to be raped. And if the sex worker has been raped, who is the rapist?

The implication of what you're saying is that it's OK for a punter to assume that the consent is genuine. And the woman is not 'consenting to your face'. She is being coerced into appearing to consent.
        What I'm saying is that you have had a punter pay a woman who has then consented to have sex with him. You can put whatever story round that you like.

From other documentaries, it appears brutally horrible that many of these workers are forcibly turned into drug addicts to consent to work for the money. It's a horrible subject and nowhere near as cut and dried as you are trying to claim.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          Do any of these explore why someone chooses this line of work before I waste any more of my time?
          From 0 to pretentious in one sentence.

You stick with your preconditioning, run along.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            What I'm saying is that you have had a punter pay a woman who has then consented to have sex with him. You can put whatever story round that you like.
            But where the woman is coerced, she has NOT consented. That's not putting a story round it. It's factual. To consent, you need both freedom and capacity.

Comment

But where the woman is coerced, she has NOT consented. That's not putting a story round it. It's factual. To consent, you need both freedom and capacity.
              The punter has gained her consent. As far as he can tell, she has the freedom and capacity to do so.

You're speculating.

Comment

The punter has a "reasonable belief she consented" as per my link. If you want to change that basis of law you will have an uphill struggle, it has been tried but failed because of the stats I posted. Its a minefield.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  The punter has a "reasonable belief she consented" as per my link. If you want to change that basis of law you will have an uphill struggle, it has been tried but failed because of the stats I posted. Its a minefield.
                  Ask yourself this: given that so many sex workers are being coerced by pimps, is it reasonable for a punter to believe that just because a woman (woman as a typical example) appears to consent, that she has the freedom to consent?

Comment

I heard a programme on radio 4 recently about prohibition. If you ban brocolli, people will not eat it or switch to similar vegetables. But ban alcohol and nothing can replace it. People will do anything for it. Sex is closer to alcohol.

Comment

Ask yourself this: given that so many sex workers are being coerced by pimps, is it reasonable for a punter to believe that just because a woman (woman as a typical example) appears to consent, that she has the freedom to consent?
                      Ah the apples=pears offensive.

Ask yourself this if so many men commit murder are you guilty of murder?

Only works in the court of public opinion!

Now where it is obvious that the setting is coercive (hence the taxi driver reference) you might have a point.

The need for prostitution won't go away so the most sensible thing is to legalise & regulate. That way you remove coercion by bringing it out in the open. Just use the gang master style legislation and living off immoral earnings to police it.

Comment

Working...
                      X