• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus: UK could be 'worst affected' country in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Did he say how he defines "worst" ?

I trust that in the end the measure or "worst" will take into account factors such as population density (is it any wonder that New Zealand and Finland are doing such a great job?).

This is the same expert who in January agreed with an article in the New York Times that there is no evidence that the virus can be "readily" spread by humans... and he now billed as one of the government's top advisors?

Seems like he has blood on his hands and wants to blame the government instead of himself
    Respect the post completely, just want to add though, that talking about January and quotes made then is a little harsh because China was doing its best to deal internally and hide it.

Many people in this debate (not on here, just in general) seem to be pointing to January , when the virus was less than a few weeks old and hidden behind a curtain of containment efforts by the Chinese Government.

It's far more useful to use stats and quotes from February, and I'll be honest this is what is getting my goat with the whole thing - In February the world knew it was coming and what it was.

If people can find quotes to debunk critics from then, then that's far more valuable than January. But the people saying that stuff mid Feb, that's alarming (I'm looking at you Donald Trump, et al.) We were trying to say it was like the flu or a cold in MARCH - that's where I get angry with all this.

If me, cretin as I am, can logon to Liveleak and see the hospitals in China and see the staff crying and breaking down, with bodies of people of middle to late ages, literally dead or dying on the floor, you know its not flu. I worked for a company that was actively telling staff that its just a mild cold in 90% of people and only hits the old; it's just a massive lie - and even that in itself is a sickening sentiment. If you're over 70 then tough - people live well beyond that nowadays and wasn't that the justification behind not paying out on pensions and regularly increasing the minimum age?

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
      If me, cretin as I am, can logon to Liveleak and see the hospitals in China and see the staff crying and breaking down, with bodies of people of middle to late ages, literally dead or dying on the floor, you know its not flu.
      That's not true. Although we know that this particular pandemic is caused by a coronavirus, not a 'flu virus, the next pandemic might well by a type A influenza virus, and have an even higher mortality rate.

A bad 'flu pandemic has the potential to kill more people than the current coronavirus pandemic.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Britain will do OK, you're going to get killed more quickly in one of the other backward EU states.

France, Swiss, Germany and UK are all running about the same on this.

And for all everyone is trying to convince themselves otherwise the US with its much bigger economy and having by far the most advanced health care in the world is the safest place to be right now and will end with the lowest mortality of any large western country.

God Bless Donald Trump!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          China have 105 new cases the majority come from a region that shares it's border with Russia....

Btw Where is Putin?
          Weeping quietly somewhere at your pathetic use of the apostrophe?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            That graph bears no apparent relation to the day zeros as recorded in worldometers.info or COVID19info.live: Real-time Updates & Stats for the Coronavirus

If it is correct for day zero for Switzerland, it only goes to the 3rd April.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Weeping quietly somewhere at your pathetic use of the apostrophe?
              If that's the only thing that upsets you at the moment you must be living life like Atw
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                That's not true. Although we know that this particular pandemic is caused by a coronavirus, not a 'flu virus, the next pandemic might well by a type A influenza virus, and have an even higher mortality rate.

A bad 'flu pandemic has the potential to kill more people than the current coronavirus pandemic.
                I live and learn! I thought mortality rate was lower than Covid.

The premise I was trying for, was it was not to be trivially dismissed, as a section of people seem to be doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                  The government isn't inept and is doing the best they can. I'm impressed by the Nightingale hospitals and distribution systems put in place. Sweden is doing herd immunity and have lowish rates of infection and death but completely different demographics and population distribution characteristics. It's not surprising that a virus hits heavily populated areas and culturally close communities hardest such as the large UK cities. There's no cure so you get it and survive or die and the older you are especially 60+ the risk of death increases. All any government is currently doing is flattening the curve to provide time to build resources and develop tests and vaccines. At some point they'll start lifting the restrictions, probably end of May, then there'll be another spike of infection worldwide but we may have the resources to cope. Comparing the damn statistical lies with widely varying data sources does no one any good. Or is your hobby simply slagging off the UK government?
                  What is probably the most significant reason why Sweden has a lower infection rate than many other comparable countries? It takes a bit of lateral thinking.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I will need to stop early afternoon drinking from home, I could swear blind Man Hancock said they were going to give care workers special badge as a reward rather than PPE or a pay rise

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X