• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Basingstoke that bad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan
    And Oxfordshire. Oh and Berks, Bucks and Herts. And Kent and Sussex. And probably some other places.

I can't believe the number of chavs in the Hampshire village I work in. I thought it would be retired army major country.
    Army Generals prefer the quieter villages, but I cant tell any more than that.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

On very special occasions we travel to Basingstoke to see a movie at the VUE and get the hell out before the credits come up. The multi-storey next to feels like driving inside a giant washing machine.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Dunno, I sort of pass by on the ring road twice a week. Looks like a jolly nice ring road to me. Oh no, hang on! that's Bracknell. Begins with a B anyway.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
          Has it improved in the last years? Still nothing to do there? Any nice surroundings there?*

*Apart from Winchester which is very nice (but also very expensive)

I gather our friend Alf is the best person to ask about Basingstoke

Comment

Say what you like - Ive taken a fortnights holidays in Basingstoke for the past twenty years and Im already looking forward to this years - some fascinating car parks in Central Basingstoke and a very good public library.

I shall shortly be publishing my memoirs of Basingstoke - look out for 'Driving through Basingstoke and other short stories ' by Pruffock Publications.
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 22 January 2007, 12:20.

Comment

It isn't that bad !
              Depends - I don't hit the Friday night / Saturday night town centre nightlife - not my scene. Town centre isn't that brill as to variety of shops - but neither are most town centres down this way of the country
              There are a few too many roundabouts though - I used to get really really lost!. I've known people be lost for hours the trouble is after you've driven round 9 or 10 they tend to all look similar

Comment

I live in Winchester.

Basingstoke is nothing great but it's not the worst either. Much better to live outside Basingstoke in one of the little villages and drive into the station in the morning - but that'll cost you in time and parking fees - plus the villages are just as expensive as living in Winchester. Generally if you work in London you'll need to travel first class (is there any other way?) if you want a seat on the train etc. Winchester makes better sense.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by dmini
                  It isn't that bad !
                  Depends - There are a few too many roundabouts though - I used to get really really lost!. I've known people be lost for hours the trouble is after you've driven round 9 or 10 they tend to all look similar

People rushing round with no time to spare.
                  Im so dizzy,
                  Im neither here nor there.
                  In this traffic jam,
                  I just want to shout,
                  Let me off o this english roundabout

English roundabout

And all the the horns go beep! beep!
                  All the people follow like sheep,
                  Im full of light and sound,
                  Making my head go round, round.

Everyone is cursing under their breath,
                  Im a passenger,
                  I feel close to death,
                  Hopeless situation,
                  I have no doubt.
                  Stop the madness, english roundabout

English roundabout

And all the cars go brum! brum!
                  And in my ears I feel a hum,
                  The neons blind my eyes,
                  All those tempers rise, rise.

Cars and buses go,
                  Puffing out their smoke,
                  Roll my window down,
                  I begin to choke.
                  I have had enough,
                  I just want to get out.
                  Let me off o this english roundabout.

Comment

I pop in occasionally to do the odd Christmas or birthday shopping. I pray all the way down the M3 that the car park I know will be open. If it isn't, I just shutdown there and then rather than face the ring road.

Somebody once phoned me on the mobile as I had to negotiate one of the roundabouts for the first time. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Comment

To the good citizens and inhabitants of Basingstoke I do apologise if my previous comments have any way diminished the reputation of the good town of Basingstoke.

If truth be told - I have never yet had the pleasure of visiting Basingstoke - altough in an odd and inexplicable way I feel already acquainted with the picturesque town of Basingstoke and its citizens - perhaps one day - if I am worthy - I may have the honour of Driving Through Basingstoke.

Comment

Working...
                      X