• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the lockdown a bad idea?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scooterscot
    replied
    Had western countries taken the same approach to lockdown as China we'd be over the worst now. But no, the media being hysterical.

Ironically, by the end of it all.. we'll be more communist than Russia & China together.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I'm sure all will be fine, I can definitely see an extended lockdown pushing out the worst of the infections to the summer.

I can also imagine that various treatments will be found that will help all but the most vulnerable. And I can see us increasing our hospital capacity.

Didn't mean to depress people, was more of a question I was asking myself and was looking for various opinions on.

Mods feel free to delete this thread, regret asking the question as it's not helpful.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    No ifs, no buts, everyone with an NI number should receive a payment monthly until this is over. Those in need who are without an NI number can be dealt with separately.

That would be a start.
    Overpayments can be dealt with by the tax system at the end of the tax year, by which time I'd hope we'd be out the other side of this.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Yeah. The free money thing never seems like it trickles down to where its needed. It just props up big business.
    No ifs, no buts, everyone with an NI number should receive a payment monthly until this is over. Those in need who are without an NI number can be dealt with separately.

That would be a start.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Well the free money Government gave to banks, so they could loan to small business is a great idea. Only some banks won't lend unless the business owner provides a personal guarantee. So if their business goes bust the bank are coming after their house and car. Not a great start and I only hope it's a blip.
    Yeah. The free money thing never seems like it trickles down to where its needed. It just props up big business.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    The lockdown is difficult and we're only on day 4.

It can't last forever but it needs to last long enough to make a difference. The government is going to have to figure out how to ensure people keep the roofs over their heads and the vulnerable get the help they need. They have a pretty rubbish record at looking after the vulnerable so you'd hope this would be their time to prove they can do the right thing.

Sadly, people will be missed because it's always the edge cases that screw up any system. Whilst its deplorable that it will happen, we need to be aware that planning for the masses will exclude the few and so be there to help where we can.
    Well the free money Government gave to banks, so they could loan to small business is a great idea. Only some banks won't lend unless the business owner provides a personal guarantee. So if their business goes bust the bank are coming after their house and car. Not a great start and I only hope it's a blip.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    The lockdown is difficult and we're only on day 4.

It can't last forever but it needs to last long enough to make a difference. The government is going to have to figure out how to ensure people keep the roofs over their heads and the vulnerable get the help they need. They have a pretty rubbish record at looking after the vulnerable so you'd hope this would be their time to prove they can do the right thing.

Sadly, people will be missed because it's always the edge cases that screw up any system. Whilst its deplorable that it will happen, we need to be aware that planning for the masses will exclude the few and so be there to help where we can.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    People lose their houses because of recessions.
    Not for the next few months. After that, the world will look a very different place.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The army will be deployed.
    To do what?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    No-one will lose their house. No-one will go hungry.

There will be quite a few self entitled people who feel they are better than everyone else. They will whine online but will do nothing else.
    People lose their houses because of recessions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X