• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the lockdown a bad idea?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I think AtW's comment is what we could expect from him.

I disagree with you. But I can understand why you think what you think. And I think many more will agree with you with each passing day.
    I can't remember much of what AtW has posted in the past, so I don't know what to expect from him. I've called people idiots on this forum, well the Brexit forum, it's the internet we are all keyboard warriors and as nice as pie to each others faces. Anyway enough of AtW.

I'm not saying the lock-down is a bad idea, I was just asking a question and trying to think things through.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I regret asking the question because it could feed into the fears of some people and help them only see the negatives. When there are plenty of positives for us..
    Famous last words...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Asking questions and understanding the options around you is not dumb. I regret asking the question because it could feed into the fears of some people and help them only see the negatives. When there are plenty of positives for us.

I'm not dumb or an idiot. I think your comment reflects badly on you AtW.
    I think AtW's comment is what we could expect from him.

I disagree with you. But I can understand why you think what you think. And I think many more will agree with you with each passing day.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Don't worry, we'll all be experts with hindsight!

I revert to what I said at the start, a few weeks ago. I'm no fan of BoJo, but I wouldn't wish his job on anyone. Whatever he does he will be criticised by groups of people, and whatever policy he employs, someone will die as a direct result of that policy.

It's a balancing act for sure - as individuals we can sit pretty and say we'd save everyone, but the reality of the situation is not everyone can be saved. World governments can only do what they think best, looking after and protecting the vulnerable as best they can.
    So far Boris has done more than I thought. I was wondering if he would just let people die to protect the rich.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Maybe woooooooooooohooo (& Trump) has a point. There's a few sensible people, including previous UK government advisors, saying the same thing. The adverse effects of this lock down on the economy, will have a huge knock on effect on mental and physical health issues and many deaths will result. Cancer treatments have already been postponed, just one example of effect.

Have they got the balance right? Dunno. Wish I was an expert!
    Don't worry, we'll all be experts with hindsight!

I revert to what I said at the start, a few weeks ago. I'm no fan of BoJo, but I wouldn't wish his job on anyone. Whatever he does he will be criticised by groups of people, and whatever policy he employs, someone will die as a direct result of that policy.

It's a balancing act for sure - as individuals we can sit pretty and say we'd save everyone, but the reality of the situation is not everyone can be saved. World governments can only do what they think best, looking after and protecting the vulnerable as best they can.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Read that bit back to yourself?!
    I reckon you selectively quoted. He posted "I'm wondering if Trump is right wing"

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I think Woohoo makes a good point.
    Here is a journalist who agrees mostly https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...ar-as-we-think

In summary. We're a long way from knowing how fatal this disease really is. We'll not know for months, if not a year, what the truth is.
    Is it worthwhile trashing the economy to save a few lives??? Good question and apparently the politicians think it's worthwhile and they are thinking about the next GE anyway.

As for BP's asinine comments about the super-rich.... This disease impacts the wealthy equally as much as the rest of us. So there's no conspiracy. For once, the leaders are actually doing what they think is right.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Trump has a habit of saying what many people in power believe but won't say in public, plus the old adage of stopped clock etc. I dislike Trump immensely, but the question asked in the thread was prompted by his intended actions to re-open the US.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I’m wondering if Trump is right...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    I'm happy to take that bet!

But can you be more specific on which bit you don't agree with? That Trump will decide first, or that others will end up following him, or both?
    Covid-19 is something that he can't bully or insult. If he gets this wrong then it will spread like wildfire across the US. If Trump opens up the US over Easter (all those Christians in all those churches) then it will hit his support base. Keeping lockdown as is now keeps the virus in predominantly Democrat states - he doesn't care about those.

What's the betting on which way he goes (as his own crappy hospitality empire is tottering at the moment because his jewel in the crown, the Doral, is closed)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X