• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Panic buying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panic buying

Government have been shouting at us all today. Stop panic buying!

However, I suspect a distraction in the media.

Pubs, restaurants closed, schools closed, loads of people WFH and eating lunch at home, etc.

I couldn't find the equivalent graph for the UK, but this one is for the US:

Assuming something similar, the answer is clear, we're switching where we get our food from and the supermarkets just can't cope, and need to gear up their staff, distribution logistics, etc. This wont happen instantly.
    Backing this up, I heard on the TV this week it is around 25% of our food consumption that comes from out-of-home food retailers.

Even if the panic buyers - who are arguably a small minority of thickos - were to be locked up or buying controls enforced by government, I think there would still be bare shelves at the supermarket right now.

Yes there 'is plenty of food in the supply chain', but its been going to the wrong places and will take time for our system to adjust.

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Government have been shouting at us all today. Stop panic buying!

However, I suspect a distraction in the media.

Pubs, restaurants closed, schools closed, loads of people WFH and eating lunch at home, etc.

I couldn't find the equivalent graph for the UK, but this one is for the US:

Assuming something similar, the answer is clear, we're switching where we get our food from and the supermarkets just can't cope, and need to gear up their staff, distribution logistics, etc. This wont happen instantly.
    Backing this up, I heard on the TV this week it is around 25% of our food consumption that comes from out-of-home food retailers.

Even if the panic buyers - who are arguably a small minority of thickos - were to be locked up or buying controls enforced by government, I think there would still be bare shelves at the supermarket right now.

Yes there 'is plenty of food in the supply chain', but its been going to the wrong places and will take time for our system to adjust.
    Correct. Look at all the commercial wholesalers who supply pubs, restaurants and hotels. They will have to switch their business model to supply to the consumer, or they too will go out of business.
    I dread to think how much food (and beer ) is rotting away in fridges and cellars all over the country. I do hope pubs and restaurants are planning to donate to food banks or other good causes (hospitals?), rather than throw it away.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I think all that is true, but it would have happened more gradually if there was no panic buying. The panic buying is still going on. I passed my local Asda this morning & saw a queue of around 150 people waiting outside for opening. When I went in later, they were still all over the toilet roll like flies on sh1te.
      That said, it doesn't really help when the media are constantly reporting about bare shelves. I've managed to resist 'stocking up' so far, but I've had a constant headache & dry mouth all week over it!
      If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
        I think all that is true, but it would have happened more gradually if there was no panic buying. The panic buying is still going on. I passed my local Asda this morning & saw a queue of around 150 people waiting outside for opening. When I went in later, they were still all over the toilet roll like flies on sh1te.
        That said, it doesn't really help when the media are constantly reporting about bare shelves. I've managed to resist 'stocking up' so far, but I've had a constant headache & dry mouth all week over it!
        Moment Asda shoppers scuffle over toilet roll | Daily Mail Online
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Fighting over water. Do they not have taps in their house? [emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Correct. Look at all the commercial wholesalers who supply pubs, restaurants and hotels. They will have to switch their business model to supply to the consumer, or they too will go out of business.
            I dread to think how much food (and beer ) is rotting away in fridges and cellars all over the country. I do hope pubs and restaurants are planning to donate to food banks or other good causes (hospitals?), rather than throw it away.
            I'll take a barrel or two of donated beer. It'll only go to waste otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              The Times reports this is happening.

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
              What happens is a dumb idiot reads the reports and thinks "Dumb idiots, doing all this panic buying. Oh well, better go to the supermarket and stock up, otherwise the dumb idiots will get it all".
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

What happens is a dumb idiot reads the reports and thinks "Dumb idiots, doing all this panic buying. Oh well, better go to the supermarket and stock up, otherwise the dumb idiots will get it all".
                Exactly.

Comment

I now wish I'd popped into the offie when I was out today to make sure I had sufficient booze

Comment

People are trying to get a feeling of control. Humans are not always logical.

Comment

Working...
                    X