• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why hasn’t London locked down?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
    It's quite a responsible act to most people to have children. Don't think I'd want to leave mine with someone I don't know anything about so I'd take the time off work if my wife or partner couldn't for whatever reason. It's called parenting. It should never be a task you'd rather have someone else do.

I don't doubt it.
    And if your option is putting food on the table for the children, or not putting food on the table for them, which should a parent choose?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      I don't doubt it.
      And if your option is putting food on the table for the children, or not putting food on the table for them, which should a parent choose?
      Eat them?
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Eat them?
        Babies are a bit too fatty for my liking.

Comment

I don't doubt it.
          A parent would chose to go without and make sure the children are fed. How you did this, sell some stuff, go without a "luxury" whatever you had to do.
          Certainly you cannot rely on the DWP to bail you out, whoever designed their IT systems must have been a clown. Or the Government, but then you shouldn't need their help if you have been sensible with your earnings.

And yes, before you go there I have sold my motorbike to make sure we have a little more in the bank as soon as I became ill. Because I knew the state would foul up somehow. And between my accountant and HMRC they surely did foul up...

Comment

A parent would chose to go without and make sure the children are fed. How you did this, sell some stuff, go without a "luxury" whatever you had to do.
            Certainly you cannot rely on the DWP to bail you out, whoever designed their IT systems must have been a clown. Or the Government, but then you shouldn't need their help if you have been sensible with your earnings.

And yes, before you go there I have sold my motorbike to make sure we have a little more in the bank as soon as I became ill. Because I knew the state would foul up somehow. And between my accountant and HMRC they surely did foul up...
            You presume people have these luxuries.

There was a thread on here about a contractor who couldn't find any form of work for ages. Can't remember what it is called but I hope another poster links to it.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Contradicting yourself now.

So a parent should do everything in their power to put food on the table, but also should not go out to earn money to put food on the table as that would mean leaving the children with someone.

Take your pick, which one is it?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Are you talking about a normal state when there is no panic about a virus where everyone is crapping themselves wondering how they are going to look after their family because the country is slowly murdering itself for no apparent reason? There's no food in the shops and the government isn't helping?

Or are you talking about an abnormal state where people who have kids as trophy's that they can brag about are now finding they have to do parenting and really don't want to be held responsible because they'd prefer to be out earning money and paying someone else to look after their offspring?

If you have children they are your responsibility. And if you believe that you going out to work is more important than looking after your children yourself that's a very narrow view to have.

You do what you have to. That's what I have done all my working life.
                Some contractor whinging he couldn't get a job for months obviously thought too much of themselves because there's always been work out there. You just have to want to do it.

Which is why I have picked up dead bodies from fly infested houses in my past because it was a job, albeit a very low paid one but I could feed my family from the proceeds. It's how I was raised.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  You presume people have these luxuries.

There was a thread on here about a contractor who couldn't find any form of work for ages. Can't remember what it is called but I hope another poster links to it.
                  No. I presume people have gumption and drive.

Comment

I don't doubt it.
                    Eat the children and spend the money on booze?

Comment

Quite right. I once got thrown out of a Waitrose for having a semi...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X