• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contractor looking for advice - Parasol or SCPay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I didnt answer your question rootsnall. It would appear if you work through a managed service company (brollies included) then you cannot claim home to work expenses or subsistence expenses(including accomodation). However, there is nothing to stop you opening up a limited company, and paying yourself a salary and continuing to offset your business expenses against your income. In fact if you are caught by IR35, or dont have the inclination to battle the revenue then this is after April 2007 the best way to protect your income.

You will probably find that every brolly suddenly turns into an accountancy practice helping contractors run limited companies!! then everyone is in for a rough ride!!!

If you are with a brolly right now, I would start looking at a contingency plan for april 2007.

Comment

[QUOTE=Newby]In fact why not just go to a payroll company and pay £5 a week.
      QUOTE]

Surely this is the definition of a 'brolly'?

tim

Comment

I am not sure that it is a definition of a brolly right now, as home to work travel, subsistence allowance of upto £25 per day and accommodation if you are living away all helps to reduce your tax. But I am sure that will be the definition of a brolly after April!

Comment

Originally posted by Newby
          Sorry I didnt answer your question rootsnall. It would appear if you work through a managed service company (brollies included) then you cannot claim home to work expenses or subsistence expenses(including accomodation). However, there is nothing to stop you opening up a limited company, and paying yourself a salary and continuing to offset your business expenses against your income. In fact if you are caught by IR35, or dont have the inclination to battle the revenue then this is after April 2007 the best way to protect your income.

You will probably find that every brolly suddenly turns into an accountancy practice helping contractors run limited companies!! then everyone is in for a rough ride!!!

If you are with a brolly right now, I would start looking at a contingency plan for april 2007.
          I have used a Ltd for years but like to keep up with what is going on and review the options. Due to working overseas and various other reasons I have closed a few Ltd's down over the years. My possibly incorrect thinking is that by keeping each Ltds lifetime to 2 or 3 years I am reducing the target and possible IR35 payout for any individual investigation. I was contemplating going with a brolly for a year and paying big pension contributions but for various reasons this doesn't seem to be a worthwhile option.

Comment

There is a lot of confusion regarding this new legislation at the moment but to help HMR&C have defined a managed service company here http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/...anies_faq1.pdf .

The legislation, as we understand it, will give contractors 2 options from 6th April - either to work through their own personal limited company over which they have complete financial control or to work through an intermediary and be paid PAYE. It has yet to be established what, if any, expenses contractors using an intermediary, such as an umbrella company, will be allowed to claim but contractors using umbrella companies have never been able to lawfully claim a daily subsistence allowance unless they work from home overnight or are on detached duty.
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

If this is not spam I don't know what is!!! Which brolly do you work for? I used 2 PAYE brollys a couple of years back and lost over £4K in tax. The vast majority of ltd company providers now provide the ltd company setup free of charge and you can defo claim travel to work expenses AND maybe able to claim divvies (IR35 dependent of course). From April it is a complete no brainer...ltd is the only option (even if you were contracting only for a month!).
              how much does it cost for a LTD company set up?
              how about insurances?
              a company bank account?
              what about the time and hassle involved in all of this when most brollies now have online registration which takes about 5 minutes?
              the majority of decent brollies do not charge a set up fee
              if you contract is caught by IR35 (which if you work through an agency - which is what the majority of new contractors do) is pretty much a given then the benefit of using a limted company is vastly reduced.

I do not work for a brolly but have been in and around agencies and payroll solutions for about 10 years - it seems when anyone comes on this board and asks what to do everyone shouts go Ltd without really consdiering (or remebering) what it is like to be a brand new contractor - just trying to redress the balance that is all.

Comment

Originally posted by jh0711

I do not work for a brolly but have been in and around agencies and payroll solutions for about 10 years - it seems when anyone comes on this board and asks what to do everyone shouts go Ltd without really consdiering (or remebering) what it is like to be a brand new contractor - just trying to redress the balance that is all.
                It takes one day's effort and very little money to set up your Limited, especially if you use one of the half-dozen or so accountacy comapnies we keep reccomending that do it all for you. You then have the best and most tax-efficient vehicle for working as a contractor. Any other option was always more expensive, and as of April, those options are seriously limited anyway. That's why you get the consistent message - becuase it is the right answer.

And seriously, if setting up a company is too difficult to contemplate, how well are you going to cope as a contractor anyway? You don't get money for free, you have to put in a little effort of your own.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by jh0711
                  how much does it cost for a LTD company set up?
                  how about insurances?
                  a company bank account?
                  what about the time and hassle involved in all of this when most brollies now have online registration which takes about 5 minutes?
                  I guess it is all a bit unknown for a newcomer hence some hastle but to answer the above,

how much does it cost for a LTD company set up? free
                  how about insurances? free - don't have any
                  a company bank account? free
                  what about the time and hassle involved in all of this when most brollies now have online registration which takes about 5 minutes? about an hour

With a decent accountant it really isn't much hastle. With a badly oprganised one it can be a nightmare, but same applies to brollies on that score.

Ongoing I reckon I spend an hour every 3 months on VAT and general admin, and 5 minutes a month invoicing. I don't bother with small expenses such as postage and telephone bills to keep things simple, leaving only mileage, hotels and any big items such as new PCs to keep track of.

Comment

Even if you are IR35 caught, and that is becoming less and less likely (Look at Shout99 MOO thread), the Ltd company is still the most tax efficient way to go.

It is not difficult to run a Ltd, nor is it difficult to set one up.
                    1 email to Simon or Darren (SJD and Upton) will have the job done for you.
                    I think SJD will set up a bank account, I know a couple of accountants who do.

A decent accountant will run your payroll and tell you how much to send for PAYE and NI every month.

You will need to spend a little time (1 hour per month it works out for me) doing VAT and expenses, but you would have to do the expenses with a brolly anyway.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Newby
                      I am not sure that it is a definition of a brolly right now, as home to work travel, subsistence allowance of upto £25 per day and accommodation if you are living away all helps to reduce your tax. But I am sure that will be the definition of a brolly after April!
                      I don't see that whether they include provision of expenses in the payroll has anything to do with the definition of a 'brolly'.

The difference between a pay-rolling company and a brolly is whether they take part in the employment chain or not. A pay-rolling company simply produces payslips and makes payments for a 'genuine' employer. These payments could include business expenses, probably based upon the 'real' employers dispenation (or lack of).

A brolly *becomes* your employer, and it is this, IMHO which makes it a brolly. A simple pay-rolling company is of no use to the individual contractor because there is no-one in the chain taking the part of the real employer (unless the client or the agent agrees to take on the role). So, if it takes on the legal entity of your employer, the pay-rolling company becomes a brolly.

tim

Comment

Working...
                      X