• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The price of bread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pity the fool who buys a loaf of commercial "bread". FFS stop buying that muck, get the Panasonic breadmaker and do it your self.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
      I pity the fool who buys a loaf of commercial "bread". FFS stop buying that muck, get the Panasonic breadmaker and do it your self.
      My gf, who is a chef, describes the stuff that breadmakers produce as muck as makes her own. When she gets time - which is not often.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
        My gf, who is a chef, describes the stuff that breadmakers produce as muck as makes her own. When she gets time - which is not often.
        At least you know what goes into it. Not excessive salt and fungal treatment agents as in your commercial loaf.

And the "muck" that my Panasonic produces is delicious.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
          Or 85p for a kilo of wholemeal flour, 24p for about 4 sachets of yeast, 0p for hand hot water, 10p for a dessert spoon of olive oil, 000.4p for a teaspoon of salt.

Makes about 4 decent sized wholemeal loaves at about 30p each - less than a loaf in 1980.
          Does 30p include your time to mix it, shape it, place in bread pan and cook in oven?
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6240619.stm

1970 - 9p
            1980 - 33p
            1990 - 50p
            2000 - 52p
            2007 - 94p

SOURCE: ONS

and New Labour have had the lowest inflation ever.

Blame George Bush
            Iraq war= oil price rises = increased distribution costs = expensive bread.

Expensive bread is the price of 'democracy' in Iraq.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Bagpuss is Alf and I claim my five pounds.

It's mainly due to the failure of last year's wheat harvest. Expect to see prices fall if this year's harvest is better. Yeah, right.
              I'm Spartacus.

Comment

0p for hand hot water?

I like your economics, you'll go far. Ever thought of the job of Chancellor?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                  0p for hand hot water?

I like your economics, you'll go far. Ever thought of the job of Chancellor?
                  Some real dodgy economics going on here.
                  What is the capital cost of the bread maker (the Panasonic recomended by sasguru is £100) and what discount rate do you use?
                  Energy costs?
                  Time?

Having sad all that - I do fancy getting a breadmaker. I love really fresh bread first thing in the morning. With proper butter not this Flora muck I'm supposed to be on.
                  Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Got a Kenwood one for crimbo and it is wonderful.

Chuck everything in and 4 hours later I have a perfectly baked seeded wholemeal, or conversely chuck everything in and have a fresh white loaf 3 hours later. Can even make cake type bread with it (mmmm carribean banana and cinnamon tea loaf)

You can do rapid bakes, but the bread isn't as good in my opinion. The nicest option is a time delay. So you can throw all the ingrediants in, set it up and put in an X hour time delay so that when you wake up you have piping hot bread for breakfest.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Speaking of which, where's LB these days?
                      Lucy's cellar according to Ardesco.

I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Working...
                      X