• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

guitar lessons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys for all the advice!!! I was in a music shop yesturday, I have not bought a guitar yet, but don't want to spend £100's what should I be looking for, I would like to play more Rock'n'roll.

Alf thanks for the tip, once I've decided which type I should buy I'll be trying the cords as mentioned.
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

Depends on what you want to do. I have a 12 string electro-acoustic which I use just to bang out some toons using open and barre chords and get people singing along at parties. It's a good crack. I'm not overly concerned about learning my scales and doing all the lead work.

I am self taught and I used the Eagles 'Hotel California' as my first song. Learning to play this taught me how to play about half a dozen different chords. When I'd cracked that, I already knew enough to play many more songs...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

For basic rock, you can't really go wrong with a decent Strat copy. I've got one of these - http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0321602509 - and it's served me really well over the years. Think it cost me about £120, but over 10 years later they're probably cheaper now.

While you're learning it's not worth splashing out on the expensive guitars, but avoid the really cheap ones as the action (how high the strings hang over the fretboard) is likely to be crap and it will feel like playing a cheesewire.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
          Thanks guys for all the advice!!! I was in a music shop yesturday, I have not bought a guitar yet, but don't want to spend £100's what should I be looking for, I would like to play more Rock'n'roll.

Alf thanks for the tip, once I've decided which type I should buy I'll be trying the cords as mentioned.
          this kind of rock n roll?

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/i...&cat2=&q=&st=1

Comment

Get yourself a Jumbo six string acoustic - preferably a stolen one.

If you offered a ripped off Black Rio Grande Eko circa 1986 please let me know - its probably mine.

Otherwise get yourself a Jumbo acoustic from a second hand shop - dont buy a new one.

Comment

I'd always recommend learning on an acoustic, and then move onto electric - it's tempting to start on electric, but mastering the basics, and barre chords on acoustic will make electric seem like a doddle!!

You can get decent acoustic guitars for around £80.....

http://www.piedog.com/musical_instru...a-f310_tbs.htm
              Call the cops

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                Get yourself a Jumbo six string acoustic - preferably a stolen one.

Otherwise get yourself a Jumbo acoustic from a second hand shop - dont buy a new one.
                agreed - i love my jumbo big guitar, big sound, great looks. not stolen - had it 20 years from new.

Comment

Cheap electric = Yamaha pacifica
                  http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews53763.html

Best sounding cheapish hand made canadian accoustics

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/produ...id=186&catid=4
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

The Most Imporant Thing For Learning The Guitar...

.....a good...

WRIST ACTION.

Comment

Unless you live in a detached house (or at least a semi and practice on the unattached side) I wouldn't recommend an acoustic to learn on. They're louder than you think and your neighbours are going to get upset really quick.

At least with an electric guitar you can use headphones...
                      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                      X