• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it still okay to shoot at pictures of real people on a shooting range

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Categorically not true. I once refused to shoot an intruder onto camp, despite being ordered. As the rules of engagement (GreenYellow Card) had not been met.
    Sounds like a paddy, smells like a paddy, not one of our tame paddy's, that's 3 conditions met.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      So you're saying, if you had been told to go to Iraq or similar to fight you could have refused? Really?
      That's not the same is it. I signed up to carry out lawful orders, if the order is unlawful, as was in this case then you refuse. Actually you would be surprised how many have refused to serve in Irag and Afghan. But that wouldn't fit with your hypothesis would it?
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Some historical perspective for the poorly educated:

Now – as in the Soviet Union – making a joke can be a dangerous, life-changing mistake | The Spectator

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          Thanks for the whataboutery, but it's not the same is it? We're talking about shooting at an image of a real person (who in this case is still alive) and not about joking. I don't think anyone is complaining about, for example, the p-taking of Corbyn by the Last Leg team

Next.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Thanks for the whataboutery, but it's not the same is it? We're talking about shooting at an image of a real person (who in this case is still alive) and not about joking. I don't think anyone is complaining about, for example, the p-taking of Corbyn by the Last Leg team

Next.
            I think we can be pretty certain that the soldiers in question had no intention of actually shooting Jeremy Corbyn, and wouldn't do so even if ordered.

This whole manufactured outrage circus is getting tiresome.

Comment

Because they are trained to follow orders from above, without question, whether they agree with the orders or not.

Not in the British Army they ain't. Maybe in the Armies that YOU have served in (stop giggling at the back), but we have an Army whose personnel are allowed to act upon their own initiative.

Gotta love the faux outrage from people that have never been anywhere near a real military unit. Firing popguns at pop-up wildebeest and meerkats just don't compare d'ye see?

Now off you trot you featherbrained dork.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                I think we can be pretty certain that the soldiers in question had no intention of actually shooting Jeremy Corbyn, and wouldn't do so even if ordered.
                Straw man, that’s not the point.

We expect the British Armed Forces to be non-political in both words and deeds. A similar action by another country’s forces firing at imagery of their official opposition leader (say, Turkey or Russia or Zimbabwe) would likely be strongly condemned by our Foreign Office.

This whole manufactured outrage circus is getting tiresome.
                Having a difference of opinion is not “manufactured outrage”. Take it up directly with the MOD if it’s such a problem for you, they seem to be concerned about it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  Not in the British Army they ain't. Maybe in the Armies that YOU have served in (stop giggling at the back), but we have an Army whose personnel are allowed to act upon their own initiative.

Gotta love the faux outrage from people that have never been anywhere near a real military unit. Firing popguns at pop-up wildebeest and meerkats just don't compare d'ye see?

Now off you trot you featherbrained dork.

You really are a dickhead. You don't need to have served, even as a plastic soldier like you, to understand the ethics of using an image of a real person for target practice. The fact you don't understand the issue here is not surprising as you seem to lack the basic understanding of most things discussed on here.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

You don't need to have served,
                    You certainly play THAT card often enough. Now do tell us all about hunting possums again. LOVE those stories.

to understand the ethics of using an image of a real person for target practice.
                    I fully understand it, I just find the complete hysterical over-reaction to it risible.

Go and have a lie down if it is all too much for you dearie.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Next.
                      I don't know how I feel about the issue - but how do you feel about: Boris Johnson effigy chosen as Guy by bonfire society - BBC News

Has effigy burning of real persons been culturally normalised? That's a serious question, not trolling.

Comment

Working...
                      X